Prepare to be ashamed of yourself

Sunday, October 5, 2008

If you’ve been thinking you’re just getting too old to ever gain the strength you would like to have and to show off the physique you’ve always dreamed of, think again.

The woman in the picture is Morjorie Newlin, a woman who took up weight training in her 70’s all because she didn’t have the strength to lift the 50-pound bags of kitty litter she was buying for her cat.

In this picture she is 86 years old. Yes, that’s right, 86 years old. You’re looking more closely now, aren’t you? I know I did.

Although I figured out this story has been around for a couple of years, it’s new to me and I am in total awe – and amazed at what the human body is capable of when it’s not left to slowly rot away from disuse. I knew it was possible, but this one picture is worth a thousand words, no?

Sadly, Morjorie passed away in January of this year from leukemia, but not before she became a poster child for senior fitness.

You can read Morjorie’s full story, and the stories of other “old broads” here. And while you’re there, look around the site; there is a lot of fantastic information there.

I cannot think of even one excuse I can come up with that will hold water now.

3 comments:

Cyndi said...

No way. I am speechless.

Anonymous said...

No way. How is it that her skin is so tight?

Mrs. Jelly Belly said...

That's what strength training will do for you. The article said that she had always been thin, so it was just the weight lifting that tightened it all up.