Sweet potatoes don't have to be a PITA

Sunday, November 23, 2008

I am not the kind of person who has to eat SOMETHING DIFFERENT every day. If I find something I like, I can eat it every single day and be just fine with it. Obsession? Perhaps. Well, okay, probably. Although my obsession with oatmeal eventually turned into a problem, most things don’t.

One of the things I became enamored of in the past was sweet potatoes. So close to pumpkin, what’s not to like? I ate them with my dinner every night for maybe a month straight, then I tapered off to a couple of times a week. Never got sick of it. AND, of course, it’s so good for you.

I seem to be on a “superfoods” kick, although I didn’t intend it that way. In fact, up until just this very minute I had no idea sweet potatoes were considered a superfood. Heavy on the beta-carotene, one sweet potato will provide your daily requirement of Vitamin A and one-third of your Vitamin C requirement.

If eaten with the skin on, a sweet potato has as much fiber as one cup of oatmeal (again with the oatmeal?) for about 100 calories. I personally don’t eat it with the skin on. Does anyone? A regular potato, always…a sweet potato never. It seems tough to me. Am I wrong?

Anyway, prior to the beginning of my sweet potato obsession, I always thought they were a PITA to cook. To bake them in the oven took waaaaaay too long and putting them in the microwave was okay, but I didn’t think they came out as well. Plus, a “baked” sweet potato, to me, requires lots of butter and a ton of brown sugar and cinnamon. Since that no longer fit into my dietary plan, I had to find a new way to make them that was easy to prepare and just a little less hedonistic.

So I present to you the only recipe I have ever made up on my own. Not entirely original OR fancy and probably not Thanksgiving-company-worthy, but easy to make even during the week. Microwaving first shaves about 40 minutes off of the baking time. Some peeling and chopping involved, but if you have a good potato peeler and a good knife, it just takes a minute or two. Especially if you are not concerned with neatness.

Jean’s Easy Peasy Sweet Potatoes

1 medium sweet potato, peeled and sliced
1 apple (I use Granny Smith) peeled and diced
Splenda or Splenda Brown Sugar, to taste
Cinnamon, to taste
I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter Spray, or Pam Butter-Flavored Spray

Place potato and apple in a microwave-safe bowl with just enough water to cover. Microwave on high for about 6 or 7 minutes. Drain.


Empty potatoes and apples into a small casserole dish sprayed with Butter-flavored Pam. Sprinkle with Splenda (regular or brown sugar) and cinnamon to taste. Spray top with either ICBINB spray or Butter flavored Pam.

Cover and bake for 15-20 minutes at around 400 degrees. If you’ve got something else in the oven, that’s fine, just adjust the cooking time.

I like to claim this makes two servings but, seriously, one potato and one apple? I can eat the whole thing myself.

Oh, one more thing. It doesn’t look even slightly like the picture above. But if I was concerned with being fancy-schmancy, it would.

4 comments:

Cyndi said...

I first read the title as, "sweet potatoes don't have to be IN a pita" and I knew you were definitely not from the South because we would never put sweet potatoes in a pita, that's just weird.

Anyhoo, this recipe sounds great! I will give it a try, but leave out the pita.

Mrs. Jelly Belly said...

Hmmmm...sweet potatoes in a pita. Maybe? Um, no. Unless there was some turkey and stuffing in the pita, too.

Anonymous said...

Love them, love them, love them, but not until recently. I microwave them, and I do eat the skins.

Mrs. Jelly Belly said...

Really? And the skins aren't too tough? Are they as good as the skins on regular potatoes?