Not so SAD anymore!

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

I think I must have Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD). And although it’s not technically contagious, I still think I caught it from the endless fucking snow and the temperatures that are firmly stuck in single digits. Enough already!

If you have the WINTER version of SAD, you might experience symptoms such as these:

* Depression
* Hopelessness
* Anxiety
* Loss of energy
* Social withdrawal
* Oversleeping
* Loss of interest in activities you once enjoyed
* Appetite changes, especially a craving for foods high in carbohydrates
* Weight gain
* Difficulty concentrating and processing information

Yikes. None of those sound too fun, do they? The symptoms of the SUMMER version of SAD (which I truly did not know even existed) sound much more less, well, depressing:

* Anxiety
* Insomnia
* Irritability
* Agitation
* Weight loss
* Poor appetite
* Increased sex drive

So how is winter-onset SAD treated? With light therapy. Light is good. But since I have absolutely no interest whatsoever in wearing one of those handy dandy light visors like the one pictured above - and armed with a generous Christmas bonus - I decided to self-medicate with a healthy dose of internet SHOPPING. It may have lessened some of the SAD symptoms, but I think it might have also awakened my long-dormant QVC addiction.

Want to know what I bought? Okay, but before I tell you, please keep in mind that I NEEDED all of these things. NEEDED. Not frivolous purchases. At all.

An 11-piece set of hard anondized non-stick cookware. I can’t tell you what a joy it is to scramble eggs that actually come out of the pan when you want to eat them. My old set of pans lost their non-stickiness sometime during the Clinton administration.

An enamel cast iron 11” square grill pan. And it’s RED. How fun! In this state, the weather is only suitable for outside grilling for about an hour and a half on the third Tuesday in July. I have wanted this for a long time. (Uh oh…just spotted some new bad reviews on this one…hope I saved the box.)

A 3-piece non-stick knife set (in black, not blue). Looks like plastic, but it’s not. They cut like buttah and I really needed a paring knife. Can’t beat the price.

Now this one will make you laugh, but I know it’s going to come in really handy in the summer: A stainless steel PROFESSIONAL pineapple slicer. Just cut the top off of the pineapple, insert this corkscrew-like device and it cores AND slices the pineapple. I love a gadget. Watch the video; you’ll want one, too.

And because I have terminally bad hair, this crap which had better work or it’s going right back.

Some Bare Escentuals foundation – from my favorite BE source on Ebay.

More emu oil – and this time I’m trying the peppermint, too. For my ugly feet, natch.

Three cookbooks from Amazon, courtesy of gift cards. I got this one, this one and this one. I admit it - I am a cookbook whore. Expect to see a lot of posts about whole grains in the future.

Let's see...what else? Oh, yeah. Because my eyeshadow doesn’t stay on beyond my first cup of coffee, the highly rated Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion – which I hope will fix that particular little problem.

So, I think that’s everything. While I must admit I feel a LITTLE better, I don’t feel completely cured yet - so I may have to give myself a few more doses.

5 comments:

bonnieboatwright@gmail.com said...

There is nothing better than a little shopping for yourself to help snap out of a mood. I've never experienced SAD but can only imagine. This weather is awful! Feel better soon!

Anonymous said...

Hope your shopping spree helped!

As far as the eyeshadow primer, I think I have tried them all. I finally found one that I love!! My eyeshadow stays on all day, no creasing. It is by Bare Essentuals called bareVitamins Prime Time Eyelid Primer. If you don't love the new one you got, give this one a try next time :-)

Mrs. Jelly Belly said...

How did I not know that BE had an Eyelid Primer? Thanks for the tip - I'll definitely check it out.

Melissa S. said...

Oh I most definitely am suffering from SAD. It is like depression without the saddness. (Does that make sense?)

I know you probably don't want to hear this (nor do I enjoy admitting it), but exercise really helps with SAD.

Visit my blog:
http://carnivore-no-more.blogspot.com/

Cyndi said...

I've totally been suffering form SAD too. The cruise helped, but now I'm back in the freezing cold and my energy level is back down to zero.

Oh, have you tried BE's Buxom lip glosses? LOVE them.