Tuesday Tidbits: Taco Bell

Tuesday, February 10, 2009

I am in possession of a rather large collection of interesting and/or helpful tips and facts that don’t necessarily merit a full post, so I thought I’d throw one out there once a week. So that I can justify collecting them. And please, if you can come up with a more creative name for it than “Tuesday Tidbits”, I’m open to suggestions. And so, without further ado…

Did you know that you can order any menu item at Taco Bell “fresco style”? What this means is they will remove the cheese and sauce (you know, all of the good bad stuff!) and replace it with a chunky salsa. Ordering this way will not only reduce the calories and lower the sodium, it will also cut the fat content of your order by about 25%.

So not to say I would advocate eating at Taco Bell every day (although that sounds like a little bit of heaven to me), but sometimes you just get stuck. Here are some options:

Two Ranchero Chicken Soft Tacos, fresco style: 340 calories

Two Grilled Steak Soft Tacos, fresco style: 320 calories

One Spicy Chicken Soft Taco: 190 calories

Side of Pinto Beans: 120 calories

13 comments:

Camevil said...

Those fresco chicken tacos saved my butt on more than one occasion while on road trips. Unfortunately, not all of taco bell's employees understand the fresco menu (or are even aware the fresco option exists). But that's fast food for you. I didn't realize the steak was slightly less fattening than the chicken. Gotta try that next time.

Good choices!

Melissa S. said...

The only thing I can eat now at TB is the pintos and cheese and the original nachos (which I lovingly refer to as chemical and orange). But great tip!

Mrs. Jelly Belly said...

I didn't realize that about the steak, either. You can bet I won't be getting the chicken next time!

Chemical and orange. Ha ha. Can't you have a bean burrito? Or is there hidden meat in that?

Tanya said...

I had no idea. That is a great tidbit!

Anonymous said...

I've never had Taco Bell but have always thought it sounds yummy.

bonnieboatwright@gmail.com said...

Yum! I haven't eaten Taco Bell in years. The fresco style sounds so good. Thanks!

Laura Marchant said...

Aren't they the best! The salsa is actually really good.

Leslie said...

Thanks for the info. I wish we had one closer to us, cause I love Taco Bell!

Nana said...

I just had a soft bean burrito from them tonight! That is a good tip as usual.

Ryan Ashley Scott said...

What a helpful tip! Love salsa - love the low calories! Thanks. I'm looking forward to next week's tip.

Kas said...

I absolutely refuse to do such a thing!

But very helpful. I love your opening paragraph. Made me LOL at the office--got some pretty suspicious looks... >_>

Lisa said...

And also - thanks for this. I know it's sad but I really love Taco Bell. I'll only let myself eat it once a year though. With this tip though...maybe twice. :)

Brandy said...

It's a good thing my lean cuisine is mexican today or I would be headed to Taco Bell.