Udon Noodle Bowl

Friday, February 27, 2009

While scouring all corners of the internet, searching for interesting kitchen gadgets to share with you all, I came across this Udon Noodle Bowl. Now, I have no idea what an Udon Noodle is, or why it requires a special bowl, but I just knew I had to have one. The bowl, not the noodle. I’m assuming Udon is some kind of Asian dish and noodles are involved. (But the answer to that question is actually kind of irrelevant to my noodle bowl story.)

I excitedly fired up my mouse and headed over to Uncommon Goods, a site with lots of interesting and unique products. Hence the “Uncommon” in their name, I suppose. I was a little shocked at the $26 price tag (yes, for one bowl) but I forged ahead.

You see, one of my very favorite things to eat is stir-fried vegetables (either fresh or frozen, whatever hasn’t spoiled yet) over pasta. And my second choice would be to have it over rice. And I always eat it in a rather large bowl. Because it’s fun to eat things out of a large bowl - especially while you’re sitting on your comfy couch watching American Idol or even QVC.

So when I saw the Udon Noodle Bowl, I could only imagine how fun it would be to not only eat things out of this huge bowl, but to eat said things with CHOPSTICKS! Isn’t this the coolest bowl ever?? It fits perfectly in your hand and has a place to set the chopsticks. And a handle!

I received my aubergine (a fancy name for mauve-ish) bowl in about two days and was kind of disappointed to see the chopsticks were not included. I don’t know why I thought they were. Guess I didn’t read the fine print. Here’s the funny thing: I am very bad at using chopsticks. But it annoys me to no end that Mr. Jelly Belly – a man who will eat nothing more exotic than Almond Boneless chicken – can use chopsticks with ease, a skill he was taught while working for a Japanese firm years ago.

I am determined to not only buy some chopsticks this weekend, but to MASTER them, so that I can fully enjoy my beautiful big bowl. And so that I can scratch “using chopsticks” off the list of things that Mr. Jelly Belly does better than I.

18 comments:

betty-NZ said...

That is a great bowl! I love it! It would even be good for ice cream, don't you think?

Good luck with the chopsticks thing. The key is only move ONE of them and hold the other still!

Mrs. Jelly Belly said...

Well, it would certainly hold a LOT of ice cream, that's for sure. Can you eat ice cream with chopsticks? (And thanks for the tip!)

bonnieboatwright@gmail.com said...

GREAT bowl! We love Udon Noodles - usually what my kids get when we eat Japanese. They're thicker noodles and I think would be great in a stir fry. Hold the bottom chopstick stead and use your pointer finger to move the top one up and down.

Mrs. Jelly Belly said...

Hmmm...Udon noodles are starting to sound very delicious!

Camevil said...

That bowl makes me want to caress it and give it a name.

I made myself learn to eat with chopsticks during a week where I ate nothing but noodle lunches. They came with disposable chopsticks with instructions. The illustrations weren't that helpful, but they were funny to look at.

You can do it!

Lisa said...

I can't use chopsticks either. It's just not in my skill set.

So interesting that you spend time in Manistee - that's where I spent New Year's this year! A group of us was able to rent one of those enormous houses right on the lake - it was the most beautiful house I've ever visited! And I love Petoskey, too - all of those victorian houses! (It should be pretty clear by now that when growing up my family frequented Michigan's resort towns while vacationing.)

Anonymous said...

Great bowl!!! I have to check out Uncommon Goods!

Anonymous said...

My hubby does the chopstick thing better then me too. Love the bowl. Enjoy using it. Stopped by from SITS.

Michelle said...

Love it! Must not click on Uncommon Goods site...must not click...must not buy... :)

Cyndi said...

That is a cool bowl. You do find the most awesome things. And please do let us know whether ice cream can be eaten with chopsticks.

Mrs. Jelly Belly said...

Cyndi - you know those little balls of chocolate covered ice cream? Dang, i cant think of what they're called. Anyway, they would be PERFECT with chopsticks, don't you think? And I swear, this bowl is so big you could dump the whole carton in there and have yourself quite a night!

Anonymous said...

That bowl looks awesome! I love Asian foods, but I couldn't use chopsticks to save my life, lol.

Nana said...

That bowl is awesome. I think it would be great for good old Ramen Noodles. Yes I have tons of class.

Country Mouse, City Mouse said...

Very unique, enjoy your bowl!!

Crazee Juls said...

Stopping by from SITS you were right before me in roll call! That bowl looks interesting....and my 12 year old can use chop sticks PERFECTLY..just one more thing that my kids are way better than me at... :shrug: Good luck!

Tami (Pixeltrash) said...

Neat bowl!

Anonymous said...

Udon is wonderful! When we go out for Sushi my daughter always has the Udon. She loves it and she's 16 months. You really need to try it!

Tammigirl said...

Uncommon goods is one of my favorite stores! I love that place.