Brown bag? Bah!

Friday, March 6, 2009

If you’re working outside of the home, it’s always a good idea to pack your own lunch. You can control what’s in the food you’re eating and it saves you a ton of money – and that’s all good. But, really, who knew lunch bags had become such an industry unto themselves?

Remember your old metal lunchboxes from grade school?
They were fun but would always end up with a faint odor of bologna, right?

As we moved on to junior high and high school, we tossed the metal lunch box for the much cooler brown bag:

I continued with the little brown bag thing until I started on Weight Watchers. Then I was eating so much food, I had to move up to plastic grocery bags. I walked into work looking like this:

Then I came across this great lunch bag at Target for about $15. It was so cute, I had to have it.

All the girls in the office oohed and aahed and I really felt like I was stylin’. But that was before I realized how many great lunch bags there are out there. I was watching QVC (I know, shocker, right?) and they were presenting this really cute “Let’s Do Lunch” bag for $18.84:

Their bag put mine to shame and made me realize maybe I wasn’t such a trendsetter, after all. So I wanted to know what else was out there.

I started at the Let’s Do Lunch site and found this cute bag (I think I have a thing for stripes):

Moving along, I then found this line of Mario Batali Insulated Totes:
Finding the Batali totes led me to the highly rated Gourmet Getaway lunch bags, made of neoprene - the same stuff wetsuits are made of. Not only does it keep your stuff cold, it actually stretches to accommodate whatever you might be jamming in there.
Or you can go all out and get some monogramming on your lunch bag. For $34.95, Stitch Atlantic will put your monogram on one of these cute bags:


And if your monogram alone doesn’t stop people from swiping your lunch, you can try these anti-theft lunch bags:

And all of this is just the tip of the lunch bag iceberg. You just can’t call it “brown bagging” anymore, can you?

22 comments:

Dawn said...

i love all of your great lunch box finds!!

Anonymous said...

Those are great! I think my favorite is the Dooney and Bourke lunch tote. :)

Tanya said...

Now those are some cool lunch boxes! I usually bring mine in a store bag, lol!

Kelly said...

The Gourmet Getaway would be my choice. My hubby carries his lunch in an old tote bag with stains from lunch past that won't wash out. We got it on a beach trip years ago and he won't use anything else. I love the Zip-Loc picture. Now that's a stale sandwich.

Sapphire said...

This was a cute post. I love the anti-theft lunch bags!! Hilarious. Yes, in our house, we pretty much carry lunch in whatever is available...plastic shopping bags, old lunch boxes that are shared equally between my kids and the hubs....not cute!

elesa said...

When I was a kid I had a "Secret of NIMH" lunch box. I really loved that thing.

Sandy said...

Great lunch bags! I love the anti theft bags;0)

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh. I am going to be laughing at the anti theft bags all day!

I have been using this bag for a long time :) Yours are much cuter!

Sarah :) said...

I love those Batali bags! I've seen them at different stores and I love the way they feel. All these bags are so cute though! :)

Camevil said...

Oh man, I'm so not with it. I use recycled blue grocery bags. They're all over my office and give it a distinct "classy" touch.

I must have those moldy sandwich bags.

Rachael Schirano \\ Rachael Schirano Photography said...

wow, what a great bunch of lunch totes. i still like the old school boxes best :) love the anti-theft bags, too funny!

Brittany said...

I love QVC too! My friends give me heck because I TiVo it!!! I'm obsessed!

Ok, and those anti-theft lunch bags are nasty... I don't think I could eat my own lunch. Ew! :)

Thanks for visiting my blog!

Heather said...

Those sandwich bags are AWESOME!

I remember begggggggggggging my mom to let me brown-bag it instead of the "little kid" metal lunch box when I was in junior high.

I was so happy when Mom agreed.

Then, I discovered that she had no intentions of buying the brown lunch bags. Instead? She would use the regular, paper grocery bags (you remember, the big ones from back in the day before plastic bags were de rigeur) and either roll the top about 2/3 of the way down, or, after I complained about that (you have no idea how bad the mocking was I was getting at school) (well, then again, if you ever went through junior high, maybe you *do* have an idea) she then began cutting the top half of the bags off, then would put my food in and do some crazy, mom-origami to approximate the size and orientation of a small lunch bag. Of course, it still looked like a weirdly cut and folded large grocery bag, and of course, I still got teased mercilessly.

Ah, junior high. Good times.

Nowadays I'd gladly carry my trusty CHiPs lunchbox and be all retro-cool! :D Or even my Mickey Mouse Club one that had the mouseketeers holding balls with the adverb questions on them (WHO? WHAT? WHEN? WHERE? WHY? HOW?) that I loved until about 4th grade, when I became enamored of all things Jon and Ponch...

When I was working, I always packed a lunch. Had a cute, red, insulated lunchbag from LL Bean. My daughter now brings her lunch in a pink, flowered, insulated Land's End lunchbag that has really withstood a beating. Hubby brown-bags it, but sans spiffy lunchbag; he uses our plastic grocery bags instead.

Off to poke around your blog some more! :)

Mrs. Jelly Belly said...

LOL at the big grocery bag cut down and origamied!

And thanks you guys for letting me know I wasn't the only one using plastic grocery bags for my lunch!

Brandy said...

Those are really cute bags! I actually have a nice bag. And guess what I use most of the time...yep, a plastic bag.

www.AForestFrolic.typepad.com said...

Okay, the moldy lunchbag is just too much, ha! Loved all your picks. I've recently started packing my husbands lunch for work & he uses a plastic grocery bag...drives me nuts. Grief to get him a masculin lunchbox, but 'no way!' maybe he'll go to for the fonz one, hehe!

Jamie :-)

SPITsisters said...

Cute lunch boxes and cute blog! Thanks for welcoming me to SITS!

Unknown said...

I love the lunch bags!!! so cute! I enjoyed the anti-theft ones. haha

Michelle said...

I love th*QVC one - so sharp! And the Mario stripey one. *drool*

Anonymous said...

I'm trying to remember what my lunch box was. I think it was something lame like The Get Along Gang. Know one even remembers that cartoon anymore

Alexis AKA MOM said...

I know what you mean with WW items, I did the same thing on Monday lugging it all in. Everyone looked at me like I was a crazy person and going to eat everything in one sitting. Come on people!

Now if I can get my hubby on board with taking lunch! Jeez talk about money out the door on lunches! Men ... LOL

If you have time I have a giveaway up, something fun and totally out of the norm for me. Back to mom on Monday ... LOL

Alexis ;) @ Running Away

MJW said...

Great finds - new to your blog. Love the anti-theft lunch bags. Ross from Friends should have had this. :)