Fage (pronounced "Fay-yeh") Greek Yogurt

Wednesday, March 25, 2009

I am pretty much always the last person to try something that everybody else already knows about – and this is certainly the case with Greek yogurt in general, and Fage in particular.

People all around me have been singing the praises of Fage for a couple of years now but it just didn’t pique my interest. All I could think of was the cucumber sauce put on gyros and I didn’t think that taste would be very good mixed with fruit and Fiber One.

Then Kristi from Summer Fitness mentioned in the comments of my protein post last week that Fage is really high in protein. Really? This I did not know. Twenty grams of protein in a 6-ounce serving definitely justifies the label “high in protein”. So I looked for it in my always-limited Kroger and was able to find the 5.3 ounce container of Fage Total Cherry Yogurt. Although this particular product only had 8 grams of protein and (eek!) 210 calories, I was so happy to find it, I bought two.

At first bite, the skies opened up and I could hear angels singing. Why didn’t anyone tell me this stuff has a taste and consistency reminiscent of cheesecake? Why oh why have I been wasting my time with that runny, slightly artificial-tasting fat-free yogurt for SO LONG? And how can I go back to it if I can’t find Fage?

Available in Classic, 5%, 2%, and fat-free versions, Fage Greek yogurt is 100% natural, containing no artificial sweeteners, thickeners or preservatives. It is suitable for vegetarians, diabetics, pregnant women and those on gluten-free diets. Each serving also contains roughly 25% of your RDA for calcium.

I can see, though, where you might want to add a little something sweet, or it might be too tart. If that kind of thing bothers you. Here are some suggestions I found around the internet for ways to use Greek yogurt:

Stir in some fruit preserves, such as cherry or strawberry.

Stir in a tablespoon of peanut butter, almond butter, pumpkin butter or apple butter.

Marinating your chicken in Greek yogurt keeps the chicken moist and flavorful. You can also add Indian spices to the yogurt before marinating.

Use it in place of sour cream on baked potatoes, in stroganoff recipes, in mashed potatoes and to top spicy soups and chilis.

Mix it with olive oil and salt and spread it on pita bread.

Use as a replacement for cream cheese in frosting recipes.

Mix it with garlic and use as a sauce for black bean burgers.

Add fruit and granola for a healthy breakfast “sundae”.

Mix with dried fruit and nuts.

Add honey. Or honey and walnuts. Or honey and Kashi Go Lean Crunch cereal.

Add pumpkin pie spice. Or cinnamon.

Put it on a Greek pita with chicken and vegetables.

Spread it on a blueberry muffin.

Plop it on top of a grilled peach or pear.

Add frozen fruit.

Mix with blueberry syrup. Or sugar-free white chocolate syrup from DaVinci Gourmet.

I’ve also heard that Trader Joe’s carries their own brand of Greek yogurt. People seem to like it just as well, or even better, than the Fage. (And it’s cheaper.)

Really, how could you pass on something that looks as yummy as this:


P.S. A question for those of you who have already tried Fage - how do you feel about the fat-free version? I finally found some yesterday and I was not crazy about it at all - but, then again, it tasted as if it might have gone bad. Does it always taste like that, or did I get a bad one? Please tell me I got a bad one...

24 comments:

Housewife Savant said...

I've heard the buzz about Greek yogurt too, and I love it that you were not only willing to throw yourself under the train, but that you lived to tell about it.

I think I'll stick with my daily cup of I'm-not-changing, mixed with some fruity/sweet prejudice and the crunchy doubt that I love so much.

Does pessimism burn calories?

What about a full day of complaining while eating nothing but pickles?

Just checking.

Carrie said...

Hey there! I have just eaten the fat free version on its own. I have only used it to cook with (its great base for a chicken curry sauce) or I mix it with some diced cucumbers, garlic and a touch of lemon juice to make my own version of tzatziki (spelling) sauce. Its great with veggies, veggie burgers or when I make my own version of gyro (half ground turkey/half ground lamb..great recipe) and pitas.
I can't do yogurt as a snack. After a few bites the consistency and texture really gets to me.
If you want I can send you the recipes I use it for.

Karen Brown Letarte said...

I too love Fage yogurt. I have not tried the fat-free version, mostly because it has less protein than the 2%, which is important when I'm strength training. (I try to get in 20 grams of protein at every meal or snack.) I love the 2%-- it tastes delicious, and the protein and fat keep me satisfied longer.

Lisa said...

I love Fage! Unfortunately I don't buy it that often because I sometimes find it hard to justify the price. But I go crazy when it's on sale!

I've actually only had the fat-free version. I think it tastes OK, but then again, I like my yogurt sweet so I have to mix it up with fruit, or buy the kind that has the fruit attached.

Mye said...

I love Greek yogurt, I put granola in mine, so good!

Shelley said...

LOVE the Fage! I've only eaten the fat-free version - my current fav. way is with fresh strawberries and Kashi Golean Crunch cereal. Sooooo good! Try it again - you may have just gotten an "old" container.

Nana said...

This sounds divine. I had never heard of it. I love to add plain yogart to my regular yogart because it is too sweet. I love things that have a tart tast.

As to your comment, you know there is a lot more going on at Nana's Kitchen than cooking. Not literally in the kitchen though. LOL.

Anonymous said...

Just sampled some Greek yogurt at WF the other day. It can have a....sharp taste, but I enjoyed it.
I love your blog. You always have such great info.

Cyndi said...

I will definitely have to look for that. Personally I could eat tzatziki on everything. I love that stuff.

Anonymous said...

Oh Yay! My love. It is an expensive habit, but I have to eat it daily. The highest grams of protein are in the plain, no fat, yougurt. Fage 0%, having 15 grams, Chobani, plain, having 18g, and Trader Joe's non fat plain having 22grams per serving. It is awesome. For some people they have a hard time getting used to the consistency, but once you do you'll be hooked.

3 Bay B Chicks said...

This post is great! I have had a long time love affair with greek yogart, but had no idea how many different dishes it could be used in.

Thank you!

-Francesca

Anonymous said...

I had no idea how versatile it could be!

Girl Tornado said...

Hmm, haven't heard of this but I doubt any of our local stores would have it, probably check up in Wichita. BTW, I LOVE the cucumber sauce that is used with gyros!

Anonymous said...

Great. Now I must go find some myself. ;-)

I've heard great things about the plain version with a drizzle of honey.

Anonymous said...

I lvoe it but not the fat free. bring on the fat :)

and I also love calling it FAYYGEEE.
for some reason, in the immature domicile I call home, it cracks the husband and me up.

Outsmart the Fat! said...

I've tried the 0% and 2% Fage, and I like them both. I think the texture is a little bit better on the 2%, but I like the calorie count better on the non-fat version.

I could definitely see why someone would not prefer the non-fat variety, but to me it's close enough.

Of course, now I'm crazy enough that I'm going to experiment with making my own yogurt this weekend. That Fage stuff isn't cheap!

Robin said...

No, I'm pretty much the last person to try something. I have heard of fage....but have yet to try it......just too chicken. It took me years to try yogurt...21 years. The moment you tell me it is tart and that I need to mix in some preserves, you've lost me. I once tried plain yogurt thinking I would add my own flavors via preserves and ended up tossing it out......yuck. But I do like the idea that it has a cheesecake taste and consistency. I won’t eat Yoplay because of its runny texture.
So maybe I'll pick some up at the grocer's tomorrow.
Hope your day has been beautiful.

Maytina said...

I'm Greek and I've never thought to use it instead of cream cheese in frostings. Good call! I will try that for sure.

Furry Bottoms said...

The first picture missed a spot. ;-)

Furry Bottoms said...

Nevermind, this comment belongs in the VOODOO posting, not this yougurt one. Sorry, my mistake!

Anonymous said...

I love Fage with honey! Stonyfield Farms makes a Greek yogurt to that is very similar and costly slightly less - check it out http://www.stonyfield.com/OurProducts/GreekYogurt.cfm

Koobahnoh said...

I live in Broward County, Florida (USA) and I just found out about Fage/Chobani Greek yogurt last week and I can assure anyone who read my lines that I will never ever go back to limpy "Swiss Style" or liquidy yogurt ever again!

I have tried both brands in their 0-2-full strength varieties and I can say that any of them is far creamier and tastier than the best yogurt I have had before in my life. It reminds me of eating Carvel Ice Cream, which by the way was invented by a Greek Immigrant(Carvelos) to the USA in 1934.

I am a purist and eat mine plain out of the tub nothing added...It is heavenly:)

Greece gave us Plato, Demosthenes, Socrates, Architecture, Democracy, Nana Mouskouri, Gyros and now the best yogurt in the planet.

By the way, you can find Fage and Chobani at many Publix supermarkets here in Florida and also at Whole Foods-at leat Fage at any rate.

If you live in Atlanta Ga; You can find it in Harry's Farmer Market and Whole Foods. I have not seen ANY Greek yogurt at Walmart anywhere and I have been told that some Costco Wharehouses do have it but in mixed packages.

I hope this helps.

Koobahnoh said...

I found out that Costco (in North Miami, FL. USA) has the Chobani in 12 packs for about $11.50 or so but it is the variety pack zero fat with different fruit flavors

Unknown said...

Hi Dear,

i Like Your Blog Very Much..I see Daily Your Blog ,is A Very Usefull For me.

You Can see also my services.....


Pesto, fage & fruyo Greek yogurt in Switzerland. NECTRA FOOD SA is specialize in the importation, promotion and distribution of high quality specialty food.






Visit Now - Fage Greek Yogurt
-----------------