Tuesday Tidbits: Craving 911

Tuesday, March 3, 2009

One of the tricks to keeping our sanity while trying to lose a few pounds is finding healthier substitutes for the foods that made us chubby in the first place.

I ran across this Craving 911 tool over at the Good Housekeeping site that offers healthier alternatives for the “bad stuff” you might be craving. It doesn't have a TON of options, but it's kind of fun.

For example, I have really been craving an apple pie lately (yes, I said “an apple pie” not “a piece of apple pie”), so I selected “apple pie” from the drop-down menu and was given this alternative:

Cinnamon Apple Delight

Core a cooking apple (about 6 ounces), and peel one third of the way. Sprinkle the top with cinnamon, nutmeg, and 1 teaspoon of brown sugar. Cook in the microwave, covered, on medium-high (70% power) for 2 to 3 minutes, or until tender.

Apple Pie: 295 calories and 14 grams of fat

Cinnamon Apple Delight: 115 calories, less than 1 g fat

Savings: 180 calories and 13 grams of fat


Cool. That’ll work. But maybe I’ll crumble a Vanilla Wafer over the top.

9 comments:

Mamarazzi said...

I am going to have to go and check out that site!

Just stopping in to welcome you to SITS. You are going to love this bloggy community and the women in the SITStahood!

Tanya said...

That sounds like a delicious alternative. I'm not an apple pie fan, but this would be great for a breakfast choice I'm thinking.

Rachael Schirano \\ Rachael Schirano Photography said...

oh yay, what a great tool. i can't wait to check it out!

Sarah :) said...

That....looks....AMAZING!!!

Lisa said...

You made me LOL about the vanilla wafer. That's what I would do, too. But I'd probably crumble an oreo or the most unhealthy cookie I could find. :)

Tiffany said...

That does sound like a good alternative to pie. Yum!

Michelle said...

Sounds really good, but I want to know if it worked. :) And did you add whipped cream to the top?

Unknown said...

I need a snack now. That looks soooooo good!

Sara said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog over the weekend!

I'll have to stop by this website. I am notorious around my house for having cravings. My husband says I spend entirely too much time thinking about food!