Guilt-Free Scalloped Potatoes and Onions

Wednesday, April 8, 2009

I love scalloped potatoes. In fact, I love them so much I don’t eat them any more. Portion control? What’s that?

So I was thrilled when I found this great recipe at Allrecipes last year for scalloped potatoes that contain no dairy products or cream-of-anything soup.

If you think all that means “no taste” you would be mistaken. Delicious and surprisingly creamy, they are made with chicken broth instead of milk or heavy cream. I made them at Easter last year and everyone loved them. Even the ever-fussy Mr. Jelly Belly, who I did not inform of the missing dairy.

Some options: If you’re vegetarian, I’m sure you could substitute vegetable broth and get the same result. One of the reviewers on Allrecipes said she used cornstarch instead of the white flour and it came out just fine – so I’ll be doing that next time. Other people said they sautéed the onions first with the butter and another person said she pureed the onions so her fussy kids wouldn’t know they were in there. Many people added additional spices (I don’t find it necessary) and apparently the mayonnaise could be considered optional.

So, without further ado, here’s the recipe:

Scalloped Potatoes and Onions

5 large potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
3/4 cup chopped onion
3 tablespoons butter or margarine
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 3/4 cups chicken broth (I use fat-free)
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
Paprika

In a greased 2-1/2-qt. baking dish, layer potatoes and onion. In a saucepan, melt the butter; stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add broth, mayonnaise, salt and pepper; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thick and bubbly. Pour over potatoes. Sprinkle with paprika. Cover and bake at 325 degrees F for 2 hours or until tender.

I hear that these potatoes are also great leftover - but I have no way of knowing whether they are or not. :)


20 comments:

Tanya said...

You're a woman after my own heart....yum!

Pseudo said...

I love scalloped potatoes. I'm going to try these and thank-you!

Anonymous said...

Yummy!

kristisummer said...

I remember my mother used to make them out of the box all of the time when I was little. I forgot about how good they were. Thanks for the healthier version recipe.

kel said...

Visiting from SITS..Nummy!!!

Laura Marchant said...

Thanks, that does sound good.

2Shaye ♪♫ said...

LOL! I know what you mean by loving something so much you don't eat it any more. AIAIAI! This looks delicious! My kiddos love potatoes--of ANY type. It looks like I already have all these ingredients, too. Woohoo!

~Shaye

http://millermemoir.blogspot.com

Brandy said...

My hubs LOVES scalloped potatoes so I'm for this recipe!

Sheryl said...

This looks wonderful, I will definatley have to give it a try.

Bob Ignizio said...

Oh man....those taters would be sooo good with some greek yogurt and fresh chopped chives. *drools*

Robin said...

Oh....yummy....
I shall have to make a copy of your recipe.
Thank you.
Hope your day has been beautiful.

Camevil said...

That was me commenting up there, not my hubs Bob Ignizio (forgot to sign out). He could care less about guilt-free scalloped potatoes and would find some way to include about a pound of cheese in it. Preferably a combo of swiss and cheddar.

Grand Pooba said...

What? There's no cream in that recipe? How brilliant! They look delicious too!

So that means it's less fat right? So we don't have to feel guilty about eating them.

Just say yes.

Lesley said...

I am so with you on no portion control with this stuff....those look awesome...and i totally go for anything with mayo in it....

tammy said...

I'm going to have to give these a try. :)

Stopping by from SITS.

Lisa M said...

I'm so trying this! I love scalloped potatoes, but they are so fattening! Thanks for sharing

Thanks for dropping by my blog. :)

Brooke said...

sounds delish...now to sneak in the mayo with out the hubs seeing...

Ryan Ashley Scott said...

Mmm... these look so good. I know better than to read about food when I'm hungry. *smacking my own hand*

Small House said...

Looks and sounds really good. It's worth a try.

Thanks for sharing.
Sandra

Mommy, That's My Name, Don't Wear It Out said...

Wow! I am TOTALLY making these... yum!