It really IS all about me

Tuesday, August 26, 2008

I’ve reached a point in my life where I just don’t want to “diet” anymore.

I’ve spent the better part of thirty years obsessing over a weight problem that didn’t really exist, all the while engaging in eating habits that were totally out of control. After the age of 35 or so, when a weight issue really did manifest itself, I looked into every fast weight loss gimmick I could find. Some of them worked; most of them didn’t.

I no longer want to wonder if apple cider vinegar will make me drop weight. Or if a $90 “fat burner” really will. Or if I really COULD shoot 20 pounds out of my body by having a colon cleansing.

I don’t want to worry about whether or not there is an overgrowth of yeast in my system. Or about whether I should detox. Or if I’m gluten intolerant.

The list just goes on and on. I’ve grown tired of wasting too much time and far too much money looking for the quick fix.

I think I can safely say there isn’t one single product on the market today that will cause me to lose weight while I sleep, or while I continue to eat whatever I want, or while standing on my head and reciting the Pledge of Allegiance, for pete’s sake.

It’s just not going to happen.

No matter how many weight loss programs I join or how many products I buy, it all comes down to one thing: Me. It’s all about my personal motivations and my willingness to expend the effort necessary to maintain a healthy weight.

I’ve given up the fantasy of ever employing a low-carb chef and a personal trainer. I know what foods to eat and in what amounts I should eat them. I know the types of exercises that are important and how often to do them. There is no one else who can do these things for me, or make them any easier.

I am officially dropping the word “diet” from my vocabulary. I will no longer obsess over numbers on a scale. I will eat sensibly and exercise regularly. I will continue to do those things which I have found work for me, and not worry about what may or may not work for other people.

And let the pounds fall where they may.

1 comments:

Cyndi said...

Such a sensible attitude. We all know exactly what we should do, but it is so freaking hard to stop eating our weight (OK, I'll own it: MY WEIGHT) in junk and get off our flabby arses. Good for you for vowing to actually do it.