Several slices of heaven

Tuesday, August 12, 2008

I do believe I have died and gone to low-carb heaven.

As promised, I made the pizza with the cauliflower crust that I mentioned in an earlier post. It was truly delicious. And surprisingly filling! Of course, it could very well have been all that cheese that made it so heavenly, but, whatever – it was wonderful. Had I known how easy it was to make, I’d have tried it a long time ago.

For the adventurous among you, here’s the recipe:


Cauliflower Crust Pizza

1 cup cooked, riced cauliflower
1 egg
1 cup mozzarella cheese
½ tsp fennel
1 tsp oregano
2 tsp parsley

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Spray a cookie sheet with non-stick spray.

In a medium bowl, combine cauliflower, egg and mozzarella. Press evenly on the pan. Sprinkle evenly with spices.

Bake at 450 degrees for 12-15 minutes (15-20 if you double the recipe).

Remove the pan from the oven. To the crust, add sauce, then toppings and cheese. (If you are adding meat, make sure it is cooked first.)

Place under the broiler at high heat just until the cheese is melted.

And that’s it. I steamed a whole head of fresh cauliflower in a small amount of water in the microwave for 6 minutes. I should have just used frozen, but this worked out fine.

You can then use a hand grater or a food processor to rice it. I used my mini food processor that came with my Cuisinart Stick Blender and it was super fast. You can get one cup out of roughly half of a medium-sized head. I also used an Italian spice blend, rather than the three spices suggested.

I decided to go “bare bones” the first time and only topped with pizza sauce and more mozzarella. It was perfect. I cut it into four pieces and I’m not going to lie to you – I ate all four. Even though I was technically full after two. Here’s a low-carb “oink, oink” for ya.

The only advice I would give you is to check the bottom of the crust before you remove it from the oven the first time (prior to putting on the toppings). It was starting to really brown around the edges and I was afraid I was burning it, so I took it out at 12 minutes. As it turns out, I should have gone at least 15 because the bottom wasn’t browned and crispy like I think it’s supposed to be.

I riced the remainder of the cauliflower and vacuum-sealed it so it will be ready next time. Which will probably be tomorrow.

P.S. Mine actually came out looking almost exactly like the picture - I browned the cheese a lot more.

6 comments:

abogada said...

Maybe you could, like, just come over and make some for me? That sounds like actual work. Is there a calorie count? Not that I would ever find time to make it, mind you.

Mrs. Jelly Belly said...

For 4 servings:
calories 108
carbs 3
fiber 1
protein 7
fat 6
Mine was probably more because I overdid the cheese. LOL

It was a whole lot easier than I thought it was going to be.

Midlife Mommy said...

Also, did you put tomato sauce on it? It wasn't listed in the recipe. Just wondering. It really does look good. I finally got around to cutting up some cauliflower to roast it, hopefully tonight.

Mrs. Jelly Belly said...

You're right - it says to add the sauce in the directions, but the recipe itself is just for the crust. I used pizza sauce. Hunts makes a really small can of it.

Good luck with your cauliflower - I hope you like it. I'm going to be having another pizza tonight. :)

Tanya said...

I happen to hate cauliflower-do you think that'll matter? Otherwise, if the taste is hidden, this looks awesome Jean!

Mrs. Jelly Belly said...

Tanya - I hear a lot of people love it who despise cauliflower. I couldn't really taste the cauliflower at all, but I think the trick to that is to go heavy on the spices.

I also think the next time I make it, I'm going to cut the "dough" into four separate sections before I even put it in the oven so all of the edges get browned. I think that's the best part!