Let them eat cake

Friday, February 13, 2009

Brandy, Not Your Average Soccer Mom and a very funny person to boot, posted a somewhat complicated but worth it recipe on her blog yesterday. Maybe she didn’t realize, but her recipe is the go-to cake recipe of Weight Watchers members everywhere. Or perhaps she did. How would I know?

Anyhoo, sometimes you just want cake, even if it’s going to be really complicated to prepare, and sometimes you want variety. And sometimes you want a variety of cakes. Where am I going with this? Oh, I can’t remember – I’m just a tad bit hungover this morning and not entirely coherent.

Yes, I know – cake is not the healthiest food choice. But it’s Valentine’s Day. And I was too busy last night working on today’s hangover to put too very much thought into today’s post. So here are some variations on Brandy’s recipe.


Cake every day. That’s what I say. (Um, ignore the rhyming. Completely unintentional.)

Diet Soda Cake

1 (12oz.) can diet soda
1 box Cake Mix, dry
2 egg whites (optional, but some people saying adding this makes the cake fluffier)

Prepare pan (spray with Pam cooking spray) and heat oven according to package directions. Mix together and bake according to package directions for size of cake pan or cupcakes.

Popular combos:
- spice cake mix w/ diet orange
- Banana cake mix w/ diet root beer
- lemon cake mix w/ diet 7-up
- Chocolate cake w/ Diet coke
- Lemon cake w/ Diet ginger ale
- orange cake w/diet Mountain Dew
- cherry chip cake w/ A& W diet Cream
- Lemon cake w/ Diet Lemon lime
- angel w/ Diet Orange
- White w/ Diet Orange
- yellow cake w/ Diet orange
- white cake w/ Diet Peach
- spice cake w/ diet lemon-lime
- White w/ diet ginger ale
- chocolate cake w/ Diet cherry coke
- devils food w/ diet vanilla coke
- chocolate cake w/ root beer
- marble cake w/ diet cream soda
- lemon with tangerine diet rite
- white cake mix w/ diet sprite
- Red Velvet w/ Diet Cherry Vanilla Dr Pepper
- Banana cake w/ diet root beer
- Pineapple cake w/ diet Squirt



(The hideous cake picture above is from Cake Wrecks. If you've never been to this blog, you should go now; it's hilarious.)


14 comments:

Kas said...

Wow, I apparently do not think out of the box at all. Cake mix mixed using soda would NEVER have crossed my mind.

I have to try this out and soon because even though we won't eat the damn cake... I can at least say I baked a damn cake. Ha.. Domestic Goddess I'm so sure.

Mrs. Jelly Belly said...

LOL Kas! I won't usually make cake because I don't want to eat it. Well, I do want to. And that's the problem.

Tanya said...

I love cake wrecks!

I have never heard of this cake. I may have to try it sometime.

Have a great weekend, my friend. Hope it's romantic and wonderful :)

Camevil said...

Oooo, I like this. I'm going to try chocolate and diet cherry coke!

And Cake Wrecks is my new favorite blog.

Debbie said...

I have to bake a birthday cake today. Let's hope it looks better than the cake wrecks cakes!

Sarah :) said...

I have tried this Diet Coke + cake mix thing before and it really DOES work! I did lemon cake mix with diet sprite and it's just delicious. Thanks for posting all the flavor combination ideas. Yay!

Also, I just discovered Cake Wrecks not too long ago and LOOOOVE it!!

Brandy said...

Hey that's ME mentioned there! How awesome!

I did know it was an old weight watchers secret but I didn't mention in the blog cause I wanted people to try it without thinking "diet" food, which it is most certainly NOT.

I love, love, love that you gave all the variations. I might have to try the egg whites to see if it makes any difference.

capperson said...

thanks for that comment and when i get to feeling better i will def. try that cake.

betty-NZ said...

The picture immediately brought to mind this recipe!! http://www.kidskuisine.com/?page_id=8

I don't have a lot of options here in NZ for the cake or soda, but will try to find something that works!

CynthiaK said...

I keep hearing about this soda/cake mix combo but have yet to try it. Will get on that!

Thanks for coming by Crumbs!!

Laura Marchant said...

Pop with your cake mix, really? I would have never thought of this :-)

Mrs. Jelly Belly said...

Okay, Betty, the cat litter cake is just a little disgusting. The boys would probably love it. LOL!

Debie Napoleon said...

This is such a great invention. Being on WW for over a year, I really look forward to sweets and this fits the bill for juat a few points.

Thanks for visiting me on Tuesday. Your blog is fun to read too!

Lisa said...

I made "brownies" out of devils food cake and a diet coke last year, with Cool Whip frosting - they turned out surprisingly tasty and my coworkers really liked the kind-of healthy treat!