Tuesday Tidbits: Red Robin

Tuesday, February 24, 2009

This post was originally going to be about Red Robin’s Lettuce Wrap Your Burger option, which allows you the lower carb option of substituting your standard hamburger bun for a lettuce wrap. (And the whole thing comes wrapped in the usual paper holder, making it super easy to eat.) When I went to their website to check the nutrition information on this option, I discovered the most brilliant tool for customizing your meal

The “Customizer” allows you to start with any burger then add and subtract ingredients – giving you updated nutrition information along the way. You can then add side dishes to get the information for your complete meal. I must admit, I spent a good 45 minutes playing with it.

Starting with my previous Red Robin favorite, the Guacamole Bacon Burger, I was appalled to read this nutrition information: 1156 calories, 77 grams of fat, 1588 mg of sodium, 52 grams of carbs, 4 grams of fiber, and 62 grams of protein.

Removing the bun, mayo, cheese and bacon, substituting a Boca burger for the beef patty and adding the lettuce wrap option, my nutrition information became much more palatable:

Calories: 241; fat: 9 grams; sodium: 959 mg; carbs: 19 grams; fiber: 9 grams; protein: 30 grams

And, yes, I know I turned this burger into something totally different than what it started as, but that’s the beauty of this tool. I kept my beloved guacamole and I don’t have to hate myself in the morning. (Oh, and leaving the Swiss cheese intact only increases the calorie count to 461.)

I give giant kudos to any restaurant that provides its customers with an awesome tool to customize their order, in advance, based on their dietary needs. Next time I’m in the mood for a burger, I will definitely be hitting up Red Robin.

21 comments:

Laura said...

Hmmm that's cool! Swinging from sits-Laura

Laura said...

Durrrr swinging **in** from sits

Anonymous said...

I love that they'll put your burger on lettuce instead of a bun - and that customizable tool is great! I wish there was a Red Robin near me!

Wendy said...

Fianlly I can comment. Not sure why I was having a hard time. User issue! LOL

I Love me some Red Robin burgers.

Dropping in from Sits looking for Wenda, don't have a clue what I am doing, I know I will never find her. Finding some great blogs along the way.....

said...

That is awesome cool!

Stopping by from Welcomistas. :O)

Melissa said...

That's really cool. Too bad there isn't Red Robin in my area (Texas)

...look, Wenda paid you a visit. YAY!

Camevil said...

That is definitely a good tool to have. Usually, I go for a plain bunless burger and hope for the best. Now I can find a way to sneak in a few goodies here and there without being bad.

It's bad enough that many restaurants don't even make it easy to get basic nutritional info.

I like Chipotle because they use ethically raised and processed meats. However, they offer major calorie bombs. A Chipotle fan (not an employee) put together a burrito/bol builder similar to Red Robin:

http://www.chipotlefan.com/index.php?id=nutrition_calculator

We definitely need more of these!

Brandy said...

It's definitely cool when the put all the information out there for you. At least that way you can decide whether the swiss cheese is worth it or not.

In case you're wondering I would totally get the cheese!

Rachael Schirano \\ Rachael Schirano Photography said...

so wish we had a red robin near us...

Mrs. Jelly Belly said...

I had no idea there were places without Red Robin's. How do y'all survive?

Cam, I totally agree with the frustration of looking for NI and the restaurants holding it like a closely guarded secret. Will check out the Chipotle link. Thanks.

Michelle said...

I refuse to look at my beloved Whiskey River BBQ Chicken Burger. I know it would make me very, very sad. LOL!

Michelle said...

OK, I looked (you knew I would!) The sandwich itself (without tomatoes) is 975 - but add in my steak fries and ranch the entire thing ends up being *gasp* 1808. And you know what? It might just be worth wasting an entire days counts on... :)

Mrs. Jelly Belly said...

LOL...I totally hear ya on that! but i like those onion straws instead of the fries.

elesa said...

Awesome. I may just have to give Red Robin another look.....

Brooke said...

i do ham roll ups with lettuce instead of bread all the time. instant 200 calorie saver.

Nana said...

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh I wish I had not come to visit you today! Really, Aaaaaaaaaaaaaahhh!

Mrs. Jelly Belly said...

I like to do roll ups, too. I love them!

Nana, my dear. What's wrong? Couldn't stand looking at the burger, or couldn't stand finding out the calories in your favorite? :)

Anonymous said...

"Removing the bun, mayo, cheese and bacon, substituting a Boca burger for the beef patty and adding the lettuce wrap option" kind of spoils the fun, doesn't it? Wait -- I must be in the wrong place! Can you point me in the direction of bad nutrition blog (smile)?

And thank you thank you thank you for getting rid of the effing word verification!!!!! I am not a bot.

Anonymous said...

Love boca burgers yah! great post.

Anonymous said...

We LOVE LOVE LOVE Red Robin! And I was even more excited when I saw that customizer tool. I wish all restaurant websites had something like that!

redRobinLover said...

This is so cool! Thank you for posting it. I love the meatless patty (Gardenburger) but never knew how much it really helped. Well, I just found out-ALOT! And, funny how no mayo can really knock it down too.