18,250 days

Thursday, March 12, 2009

Forty is the old age of youth; fifty the youth of old age. ~ Victor Hugo


Today I am 50. I suppose I could post 50 things I’ve learned in 50 years but I don’t think I’ve learned even one thing that everyone else doesn’t need to learn on their own.

Instead, I will just say, today I am 50 – and I’m okay with that.

Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter. ~ Mark Twain

Sure, the wrinkles kind of bug me. I spend too much money on the latest and greatest skin care products trying to get rid of them. But when I think of the tens of thousands of smiles and the countless hours of laughter they represent, I’m okay with that.

There is always a lot to be thankful for, if you take the time to look. For example, I'm sitting here thinking how nice it is that wrinkles don't hurt. ~ Author Unknown

And yes, it is sometimes depressing to think there is more of my life behind me than there is in front of me. But then I think about all the fun I’ve had in the past and all of the things I still have to look forward to – and I’m really okay with that.

Grow old with me! The best is yet to be. ~ Robert Browning

And, of course, nothing cheeses me more than some punk waiter saying to me, “and what can I get for you, young lady?” – making it clear he views me as older than dirt. But then I remember I can still throw a pretty decent right hook when necessary, and you have no idea how okay I am with that.


There was no respect for youth when I was young, and now that I am old, there is no respect for age - I missed it coming and going. ~ J.B. Priestly

So, yeah. Today I am 50 years old. And I’m okay with that.

Old age isn't so bad when you consider the alternative. ~ Maurice Chevalier

28 comments:

Unknown said...

Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you, happy birthday miss jelly belly woman of the yearrrrrr. Happy birthday to youuuuuuuuu!

Can you hear the dogs howling all over your neighborhood. They are here. LOL

Thanks for dropping by and saying hi. I appreciate all the nice comments from the SITS-a's

Becky Fyfe said...

Happy Birthday!

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday, my friend. Love your post.

Kimi said...

Well, happy birthday! I came to thank you for welcoming me to SITS and I find that you share my Daddy's birthday. But you are only 50! I like your quote about the old age alternative :)

Debie Napoleon said...

Happy Birthday - I am creeping up on 50 myself. I think I want that cake you have posted! Very funny.

Have a great day.

Anonymous said...

Well Happy Birthday!!!!

Hello Mrs. Jelly Belly!...I just wanted to stop by and thank you for the nice SITS welcome!

Yep my kiddo lost 14 pounds at the Disney fun park...my first instint was to buy a ticket...however I know that it probably wouldn't work that way for me. I think my metabolism is deceased. LOL
I would probably fill up with fluid and weigh more than I did when I left.

Anyway...I look forward to getting to know you better...and thank you again for stopping by my blog and for the nice welcome!

Michelle said...

Love it! Happy Birthday, hon. I hope you have a wonderful day!

Lisa said...

Happy Happy Birthday!

bonnieboatwright@gmail.com said...

Happy, Happy Birthday! I hope you have a wonderful birthday weekend Mrs. J-B. You have been such an inspiration to me this year and I really appreciate your encouragement and suggestions. Enjoy your special day!

Anonymous said...

Have a great b-day! Age is just a number.

Unknown said...

Great post! Happy birthday!! :) I hope it was a great one!

Pam said...

Visiting via SITS! Happy belated birthday. I love all the quotes you use on your blog. My favorite is the one about forty being the youth of old age! Sounds good to me - since I'm on the other side of 40!

Mrs. Jelly Belly said...

Thanks so much everyone for the birthday wishes! I had a really fun day - despite my age. Maybe someday I'll post a picture of me wearing the giant glasses and a tall, green and white striped hat that they made me put on at bowling last night. Or maybe not. :)

Thanks again!

Trina said...

Love that picture of the grandma. Happy B-Day a day late. Thanks for the comment on my blog. I have a new entry. Come on back over.

Glenda, saved by grace said...

I turned 50 on the 23rd of last month (Feb.) Welcome to the club!
Thanks for visiting my blog! I'm gonna go check out that makeup offer, Lord knows I need it...

Dee said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!

And that pic is too funny!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday! I hope I face 50 with that good grace.

RamblingMother said...

happy birthday from another SITS blog.

Laufa said...

Hope you had a wonderful Birthday!!
Came over from SITS.

DawnS said...

Happy Belated Birthday! Stopping by from SITS to check out today's FB - congrats!

Porters said...

Hope you had a great birthday! You have a wonderful blog! Lots of great info here!

Maridith said...

Happy Birthday!!

dramamama said...

Happy belated birthday!

50 always sounded so very old to me...until my mother turned 50. Then I was all, "but my mommy isn't OLD!!!"

She is now 62, and every year, she makes me rethink what old really is.

Anonymous said...

Hope your birthday was a good one. I'm almost there myself...hard to believe actually. Stopped by via SITS. Congrats on being featured and stop on over for a visit sometime.

Michelle said...

Found you from SITS! Happy late birthday!

Kate said...

Here from SITS! Age is such a funny concept to me. A while back 20 seemed so odd to me. I'll be 30 in a few years, and that seems odd at the moment, and I'm sure my 40s, 50s, ect... will seem odd as well.

Shanda said...

What an awesome boxing picture! Love it!

Happy Birthday and congrats on being featured!

christyzee said...

Happy belated birthday! It wasn't that bad, right?
blessings...