Italian Marinated Vegetable Salad

Sunday, March 22, 2009

A while back I found this great recipe in Kraft’s Food and Family magazine for an Italian Marinated Vegetable Salad. Full of raw vegetables, it was right up my alley.

I have my version of this salad for lunch, sometimes every day for two weeks straight. I say “my version” because when I went back to look at the original recipe, I realized what I was making wasn’t very close at all to the original. But I think that might just be the beauty of this recipe – it’s easy to change up, adding ingredients you like, removing those you don’t – and it’s still delicious. Here’s the original recipe:

Italian Marinated Vegetable Salad

½ lb. green beans, whole or cut in half
2 cups cauliflower florets
1 cups halved cherry tomatoes or 1 whole tomato, chopped
1 cup canned chickpeas (garbanzo beans) drained and rinsed
1 cup sliced green olives
¼ cup thinly sliced sun-dried tomatoes
½ cup Kraft Tuscan House Italian Dressing

Add green beans and cauliflower to boiling water and cook until crisp-tender. Drain, rinse under cold water and drain again. Place in bowl. Add remaining ingredients and refrigerate for 3 hours or until chilled.


Ah, look at all that beautiful fiber. The combination of beans and raw vegetables make this a far more filling salad than most. I know the original recipe says to cook the green beans and cauliflower. I don’t do that. Mostly because I’m lazy, but also because I like raw cauliflower and I didn’t use the green beans.

The Tuscan Sunset dressing, which sounds great and all, was also something I haven’t used. But I probably will at some point, because I guess that's what makes it an Italian salad. For now, though, I make it with a mix of fat-free sour cream and a package of Hidden Valley Ranch powder. As the flavors blend, this version literally tastes better every day. I’m sure there are a lot of other dressings that will work as well.

The green olives, while high in sodium, add a really nice kick to the whole thing so there is no way I am leaving them out.

I always use broccoli, chopped into bite-sized pieces in place of the green beans and I added diced ham. I don’t know where I got the idea there was ham in a recipe FOR A VEGETABLE SALAD when I first made it, but it’s a mistake that ended up tasting pretty good!

Side note: Did you know that Kraft Food and Family Magazine is no longer free? I’ve been getting (and enjoying) this magazine for years but I see now you must subscribe for $11.98 per year. Mine is still being delivered, but I’m starting to wonder how long that is going to last. And isn’t it funny that even though I love this magazine, I don’t think I would ever pay for it? Seriously, it’s one long Kraft advertisement. Why would I?

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

This looks really good and something I can actually cook! Antipasto!

Good morning everybody! Have a wonderful fun Sunday from a fellow sitsa.

Checking in from Zen Cupcake

Anonymous said...

Following your blog, too!

Kelly said...

I also love that Kraft magazine and am still getting it for free. I don't think I would pay for it though. Every recipe in it calls for Kraft stuff, I can't believe they would want to make you pay to get it. The salad looks yummy. I'll bet it's pretty filling, too.

Heather said...

I hadn't heard about the Kraft mag no longer being free. That stinks. I keep all the older issues and have noticed that from season to season they have some of the same recipes, so I definitely wouldn't pay for it either. Guess I better keep the old ones for sure.

Housewife Savant said...

I popped over with the notion that this will be one of the dishes I make for Easter.
Then I saw chick peas and I was frightened.
I'm still gonna make it.
It'll be My Version. =)

2Shaye ♪♫ said...

Just making my morning rounds and can't wait to do this salad. I especially can't wait to make it with my own fresh garden veggies. Mmmm....

Have a happy Sunday!

~Shaye

Camevil said...

That salad sounds delicious, and ranch dressing makes me weak in the knees. I've been looking for more meatless lunches with some fiber and protein, so this seems like the ticket.

Pseudo said...

That looks really yummy.

Glenda, saved by grace said...

I cant wait to try it!

Michelle said...

I'm going to print this out for the next time I need to bring a dish somewhere. Looks impressive and tasty! And I'm still getting the Kraft mag, but will not pay for it. You are right - it's just one large ad. Why would I pay them to advertise to me? I see them going strictly online very, very soon.

Sugar Boogers & Tantrums said...

stopping by via SITS...Love your blog! :-) Have a great week!

Tanya said...

Looks delicious! Perfect work lunch. I wouldn't pay for the Kraft magazine...too many ads and recipes for processed crappy food!

Green said...

That looks like such a great dish! Mmmmm...

Laura Marchant said...

Hubs and BG would love this. They love cauliflower. Me? Not so much, lol!

Michelle said...

Still getting my Kraft Magazine for free too...I wish they had never gone to a paid subscription. But, at least you can view it online!

Thanks for sharing your version, looks yummy!!

Brandy said...

Pay for it??! WTF? Umm. No. As much as I enjoy it I will not pay for it. Those recipes find there way to my inbox every week, plus their website lists them all.

If/when I have to pay it will be the end of my friendship with Kraft's mag.

Carey-Life in the Carpool Lane said...

Ohhh...That salad sounds yummy. And I love the changes you made to the recipe.

Thanks for stopping by my blog!