Tuesday Tidbits: Count with me, now

Tuesday, March 10, 2009

So my Tuesday Tidbits have kind of gotten away from me. They were supposed to be just short little blurbs – facts and tips that I came across that I found interesting but am too lazy to research. But I have a tendency to not know when to shut up (see? I’m doing it again). So anyway, here’s a 5-4-3-2-1 countdown to healthier eating:

5 half-cup servings of fruits and vegetables per day (green, leafy vegetables should be a full cup serving)

4 servings of nuts, legumes or seeds per week

3 daily servings of low-fat cheese, milk or yogurt**

2 (3 ounce) servings of fatty fish per week

1 multi-vitamin per day

**I was reading an interesting theory the other day on dairy requirements – the author felt dairy was totally not necessary, but the government likes to say it is because if they said you don’t really need it, people would stop buying so much of it and it would hurt the economy in a big way. I think I’ll have to give that particular conspiracy theory some thought.

9 comments:

bonnieboatwright@gmail.com said...

I really like this. Great way of thinking about daily/weekly servings and it's not overwhelming!

Rachael Schirano \\ Rachael Schirano Photography said...

what a great way to keep in mind what you should eat each day!

Brandy said...

I definitely need the dairy...I'm taking calcium AND vitamin D supplements per docs instructions.

Have you entered my giveaway today? Come on over and join the fun!

Cyndi said...

You know I love the Count. Thanks for the great reminder!

Unknown said...

Hmm.. thanks for the reminder!!! :)

Nana said...

I say We NEED DAIRY!!! Thanks for the tid bits.

Camevil said...

Oh dear. I'm horribly deficient in the nuts, cow juice and vitamin department. I'm happy about the 4 servings of nuts a week, tho. I have a whole 2 lb bag of pistachios in my freezer that I've been avoiding. Now I have an excuse!

Andrea said...

Great tidbit! Thanks for stopping by my blog today! I have also read that about the dairy, but it was in a book written by vegans so I'm never sure what's biased.

Kate said...

Well, I came over from SITS but now I am a follower in Google and I added you to my Reader. Thanks for all the great tips!