Tuesday Tidbits: Grapefruit and dieting

Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Remember the “grapefruit diet” – which promised fast weight loss over a period of ten days or so by including grapefruit with every low-calorie meal? Well, maybe there WAS something to that crazy old diet, after all.

Although there is no scientific evidence to support the notion that there is an enzyme in grapefruit that will magically burn fat, recent studies have shown that grapefruit (including unsweetened grapefruit juice) may encourage weight loss and reduce the risk of developing type 2 diabetes.

Study participants who ate a grapefruit at each meal for 12 weeks lost an average of 3.6 pounds (some in the group lost as much as 10 pounds), while a comparison group that didn't eat grapefruit lost 1/2 pound. Researchers noticed that after the meals, the grapefruit eaters also had reduced levels of insulin and blood sugar.

According to the American Dietetic Association, "if you lose weight when you add grapefruit to your eating plan, it's probably because you're substituting it for another food that has more calories."

So? What’s wrong with that? If you’ve ever eaten a grapefruit, you know it takes a bit of time and effort to eat - plus it will give you 3.5 grams of fiber and only 74 calories.

No word yet on the health benefits of adding a shot of vodka to that grapefruit juice…but it sure is refreshing on a summer morning afternoon.

Note: Grapefruit may interfere with the effectiveness of some medications – and may even be dangerous. These drugs include cholesterol-lowering drugs, blood pressure medications, anti-HIV medications and drugs for erectile dysfunction - so check with your pharmacist if you're taking any medication.

15 comments:

MizFit said...

I LOVE grapefruit.
when I was little my dad would cut em in half sprinkle on some sugar (I know :) I KNOW) and broil them for us.

(*cue memory montage*)


Miz.

Housewife Savant said...

I love grapefruit too, and broiled grapefruit sounds fascinating. I imagine the sugar getting crust-o-licious.

Old Lady teeth can't handle daily citrus.
I know; right? The injustices of being Savant.

I SALT grapefruit unless I have the ruby red stuff - eat that naked.

The grapefruit should be naked, not Savant.[shudder]

Kelly said...

I wish I even LIKED grapefruit. Too sour for me. My dad also sprinkled sugar on top, but even with that, they're just too sour. Any other suggestions?

Tanya said...

Grapefruit is ok, but probably my least favorite of all fruits and I'm a huge fruit lover. I'd rather eat something I like.

You made me lol at your vodka comment, you nut!

3 Bay B Chicks said...

Great post! I always learn so much whenever I visit your site. It is wonderful.

Did you notice that something has been missing from your blog? It might have appeared around the time I stopped commenting? I’m sorry about all that. I took a little hiatus from the blogosphere, but I couldn’t stay away too long. After a break, I had to come by again and see what you’ve been up to.

Glad that I did.

-Francesca

Heather said...

When you do find out about adding the vodka to grapefruit juice do let us know. That is great! :)

Laura Marchant said...

Oh I am not a big fan of grapfruit, sorry...

Camevil said...

I have not had a grapefruit since I was little. My mom used to eat them as part of her diet plan and forced them on me. EVERY DAY. *shudders*

However, I am curious how I like them now. I may just bite the bullet and eat one.

May.

Camevil said...

Yeah, vodka would help.

Girl Tornado said...

I've never really cared for grapefruit, but I certainly did NOT know it could be dangerous with BP meds??!! Wow. Glad I don't like grapefruit then. :-)

Ree said...

Ooooh, one of my favorite fruits. AND favorite vodka mixers. ;-)

Sara said...

great post, I love the bit at the end, I'm a pharmacology student and we covered a whole topic on the way that grapefruit can compete for your liver enzymes with certain meds, which can lead to over dosing. It's a neat topic, drug metabolism.

kristisummer said...

Love, love grapefruit. I eat it like an orange peeling the whole skin. so much fun, but a little messy.

Brandy said...

Sorry but I don't like grapefruits. Well not without a lot of sugar, which I guess would take away from any of their healthier aspects.

Karen Brown Letarte said...

Adore grapefruit, but alas it interacts with one of my medications. Grapefruit haters can try this: squeeze out a couple of tablespoons of juice from your grapefruit half. Then replace it with maple syrup or Grand Marnier, and broil.

:) K