Organic home delivery

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Because it’s Earth Day and all, I thought I’d share with you this great idea I unexpectedly stumbled upon while searching the internet for something else.

Organic home delivery. Wow. A lazy woman’s dream. Farm-fresh organic produce selected for me and delivered right to my door for a reasonable price? I did not know such a thing even existed. And to find it was available in my area, an area where there isn’t even a Whole Foods or Trader Joe’s within 30 miles? I was so excited I couldn’t wait to sign up.

Door to Door Organics works with local organic farmers to provide delivery of seasonal fruits, vegetables and herbs. Their service is currently available in Colorado, Michigan, Kansas City and Eastern states (CT, NY, NJ, PA, DE, MD, VA, DC).

You can choose the size of the box you want delivered every week (or every other week), and what you want to be in the box. All fruit, all vegetables, or a mixture of both. Don’t like cucumbers? Swap it out for something you DO like. There is no long-term commitment.

I am getting the “Bitty Box”, suitable for one to two people (because you know Mr. Jelly Belly isn’t touching the stuff) and I am opting for the mix of fruits and vegetables. Those with larger families can choose the Small, Medium or Large boxes.

On Friday mornings I receive an email letting me know that my next box is set up on their website and ready for editing. I go in, look at what’s being offered and either accept it as it, swap out items I might not like for something else, or skip that week’s delivery altogether.

For a total cost of $23, including delivery, here’s what will be in my box this week:

Romaine hearts
1 lb. of carrots
1.5 lbs. red garnet yams
1 lb. red onions
1 cucumber
3 bananas
3 apples
Pint cherry tomatoes
2 pears
3 minneolas (I had to look that up – they’re oranges)

Because I still have apples from last week, this week I chose to get rid of the apples and get some more yams. In my opinion, you can never have too many yams. And then I swapped out the tomatoes for avocados. It’s still early in the season, but I am really looking forward to my summer choices.

If you can get four people together who will have their boxes delivered to the same address (your office, for example) you become a “co-op” and are eligible for a discount. I don’t know how much – we only have three people so far.

Check around to see if you have a similar service in your area. Support your local farmers. Happy Earth Day!

20 comments:

Housewife Savant said...

That is awesome J. I would so do it if it was available here.

It'd make me try something new. Scary.
But I might like it. Yum.
And learn something. Unthinkable.

I thought minneolas were moccasins.

MizFit said...

HAPPPY EARTH DAY BACK ATCHA
this is the year for me.

the one where I really work to see how many changes I can make in the way I live my life by this time next year!

mommakin said...

That? Is awesome. Alas, mine is not one of the listed states... We do have a lot of co-ops and farmer's markets, though.

Lora said...

That's incredible! I wish TN had it available...

Jill of All Trades said...

Oh that is too cool.

kristisummer said...

This is a great idea. I don't think we have that here in PA. Maybe we do. Got to do my research. Happy Earth Day!

Shelley said...

Love this idea - my parents do this, but they live in Oregon. So far I haven't heard of anything like this being available here in Texas, but I would try it if it were.

Anonymous said...

wow! this sounds terrific! the price ain't bad, either!

Camevil said...

Man, I wish we had something like that here. The price ain't bad and it actually seems to save energy (one person driving to a store as opposed to a truck that makes several stops on a route). And I like the idea of food delivery. Call me old-fashioned.

2Shaye ♪♫ said...

Argh! I'm right by Colorado and Kansas. Why not Nebraska?! Grrr! So this summer we're doing our own garden. I'm just about ready to transplant from indoors to outside and I'm totally stoked about the Square Foot Gardening method. Just bought the book and keep flipping through the pages saying, "Yes, I can do this. Yep, can do that, too." Whoooot! Let's hope it turns out the way I'm dreaming!

~Shaye (Momma Miller)

MaryRC said...

wow 23 bucks at your door! lucky you... nuttin like that in the vegas area. the resorts are priority!

Michelle said...

I joined a local co-op last summer and they delivered the boxes right to our Mom's Club meetings. $25/week and it was stocked full. I really should get back into that. It forced me to use ingredients that I hadn't thought of before and the products were wonderful.

tammy said...

I live in MD and my friend has someone deliver to her, too. I wonder if it's this place. Didn't know about the group of 4, though. I'm going to check into it. :)

Ree said...

What a WONDERFUL idea! Thanks for the link.

kristisummer said...

I am brain dead you say right in your post that is available in PA. That is me. I am checking this out.

Nana said...

That sounds great. I guess though since it is not available in Utah I will have to grow my own. ha ha ha. No, really I will be growing my own.

Laura said...

Hey! that's great I have a CSA too

ACH said...

Woah! How did I not see this yesterday--this is great! I'm joining a CSA (I'm splitting a share with two other girls), but you don't get to pick your veggies...this could be a great way to supplement!

I'm definitely linking to this...thank you again for sharing this great info!

said...

Enjoy those tasty treats!

I would've had to look up minneolas too.

Joy, via Welcomistas

Leslie said...

Mmmmm.... mmmmm....good!

Enjoy!