Tuesday Tidbit: Penzey's Spices

Tuesday, May 12, 2009

If you’re anything like me (God help you) you probably never got really involved in using spices in your cooking. Oh, sure, you probably have all the essentials, such as garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, several varieties of Mrs. Dash and five old cans of sage (yes, five – I have an irrational fear of being without it for Thanksgiving).

Enter Penzey’s Spices. There are so many things I love about this store, I don’t know where to begin – so maybe I should begin with their free catalog. You can order this fantastic catalog on their website and you will receive an updated version, full of mostly healthy recipes, every three months.

The catalog was a godsend for someone like me who knew pretty much zilch about spices. Each spice is listed alphabetically and comes complete with a description of how to best use it – usually with more than one suggestion. The spices come in small plastic containers or the economical refill bag.

They have all of the regular spices as well as a large number of spice blends – my usual choice because I don’t have to try to figure out what spices go together – including Chicago Steak Seasoning, Northwoods Seasoning, Chicken and Fish Jerk, and my favorite for vegetables and topping the fat-free sour cream on my baked potatoes, Fox Point Seasoning.

Using different spices has improved the flavor of my baked, broiled, and grilled diet in a way that was simple to do. And I love simple. When your foods are enhanced with the right spices, you don’t even miss the old breaded and fried junk you used to love. Well, not too much anyway.

If you are lucky enough to have a Penzey’s store nearby, go check it out. If you don’t, you can order from their website with confidence. They have fantastic customer service and quick shipping.

Although it’s probably best to make a list first. Your credit card will thank you.

11 comments:

mommakin said...

My mom was a bland cook, so my sister and I have both been very free and easy (and possibly a little heavy-handed) with the spices. Unfamiliar with this company, though - headin' off to rectify...

Shelley said...

I've recently discovered Penzey's spices and love them! Their catalog is great and I've gotten some nice cooking ideas from it. I like "Mural of Flavor" on veggies and also their "Pasta Sprinkle" goes on everything (not just pasta). We don't have a store nearby so I'm an internet/catalog shopper - it is very inspiring to have their spices on hand while cooking!

Anonymous said...

awesome! I'm pretty ignorant about spices myself (other than the basics!), so thanks for posting! :-)

Patty said...

I have never heard of that company, but I just downloaded the catalog. Thanks! And earlier this morning, I commented on Lee Getting Fit's blog, that until a few years ago I thought herbs and spices were a luxury, but not any more. And they are so packed with vitamins and minerals and anti-oxidents too!

Michelle said...

I'm one of the luckies....I have 3 stores within 15 miles. Their HQ is here in Wisconsin. As a matter of fact their distribution warehouse (and store0 is only a few blocks away from our house. We're regular visitors of Penzey's.

I think I should take this as a sign. I got a catalog in the mail yesterday, and your post today....hmmm maybe I should pay them a visit!!

Laura said...

no Penzeys up her but if shipping is decent I might have to try them out!

VRaz60 said...

Penzey's is absolutely wonderful. I can spend as much in that store as I do at Costco. I love their spice blends, especially the Trinidad blend. I was worried that I was going to have to go back to ordering online when we moved here 1 1/2 yrs ago. Glory be, there's one in the "hood". Happy Day.

ACH said...

Our internet connection here is slow, at best, so I'll have to wait until I get home to check Penzey's out further...but it looks fabulous! With all the tofu/beans in my diet, I am dependent on spices to provide a little variety!

Michelle said...

Love Penzey's. When we lived in Madison I was a regular at the store. But I never made the hour trip to the one in St. Louis when we lived there. So sad. I loved being able to try teeny tiny jars of new spices. If I didn't like it then I wasn't out a lot of $$$. Their salts are amazing. And their double strength vanilla will blow your mind.

Girl Tornado said...

Good post, I like the idea of the recipes in their catalog. I will check this out... tomorrow. I'm having trouble propping my eyelids open right now, so I'm heading off to beddy-bye! :)

MaryRC said...

you know whats sad? i always let my spices get ridiculous old, like years. i buy the fancy stuff and never use them. but the essentials yup i use em.. but how boring..