My excuses are walking out the door

Monday, August 10, 2009

Beginning Tuesday and continuing on through Saturday evening, I will be home totally alone. All day. All night. (If there are any criminals reading, I have nothing worth stealing and I have two vicious guard dogs – so just move along.)

Mr. Jelly Belly is moving our youngest daughter down to Athens, Georgia, where she will be starting her post-graduate program (Public Health, in case you’re interested). Why am I not going, you ask? Because it’s freaking HOT in Georgia and also because there will be manual labor involved. I will say my goodbyes from my air conditioned foyer, thank you very much.

One of the benefits of being home alone is that you don’t have to take anyone else into consideration when you’re planning meals. Lately it’s just seemed too hard to do the whole cooking two separate meals thing, so I’ve been giving in and just eating whatever it is that Mr. Jelly Belly wants to eat.

God help me. Last week I ate Hamburger Helper (Cheeseburger Macaroni). And it was just as disgusting as I remembered it. But that didn’t stop me from finishing the whole plate.

I will not be able to say that I can’t use the treadmill in the morning because it might wake him up. Or that I can’t exercise to a video because he is parked in front of the television. Or because he might watch me do it and laugh. (I should mention that I have two other televisions with DVD players that I could use and also that he would never laugh, even if he did see me, so those are really just more lame excuses.)

For these five days, and these five days only, I will not have Mr. Jelly Belly around to blame my bad habits and lack of motivation on.

Can I turn the corner here and get back on track? I think I can, I think I can, I think I can…

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

are we lost twins?! seriously! I stopped cooking separate meals too and it's still hard because the husband doesn't worry about calorie or fat gram intake, plus he whines if I even try to fix something healthy...and I won't work out around him either for fear of being laughed at or just watched period :-)

Ree said...

I live alone in a hotel room 4 days/week and still can't make my ass get down to the fitness center.

But you can do it!

Housewife Savant said...

I couldn't, but you can!

Shelley said...

You can do it!!! Have fun and make this week all about you!

Fat[free]Me said...

Enjoy some time to yourself and you will be all the more glad to see him when he is back!

Theresa said...

Hey, I live in Georgia and girl it is hot, hot, hot:) You should come along and we could have some hamburger helper together, hehe! Enjoy you time alone and we wish your daughter the best!

Miz said...

man I ADORED the Helper growing up.
Im not sure I could have it again as I fear finding what you said...discovering IT NASTY and ruining my memories :)

it's tuesday.

you still kicking a** and taking names?

Patty said...

Can't say that I blame ya, but if you would have said "Atlanta, GA" and didn't come, I would be miffed at ya! :-)

Inspire me Jelly Belly...do it!!

HD said...

You can do it, you can do it, you can do it... and I stopped cooking meals that my hubs wants - too unhealthy, and I gained the weight while he didn't. Result - I cook what I want, and if he and the kid don't like it, they don't eat. No one is starving!

Camevil said...

So, in other words, vacation?

VRaz60 said...

Be the little dieter that could. You can do it, you know you can. :)

mommakin said...

Enjoy your week! (and sleep diagonally across the bed...)

Nana said...

Enjoy yourself. I am still trying to get back on the good eating train. It ain't workin.

Miz said...

Checking back in on you...

Patty said...

Helwo???

Camevil said...

Must've been some week, no?