Well look what the cat dragged in...

Wednesday, September 2, 2009

So I was thinking that I should probably think about writing something – since it had been two weeks since my last post (forgive me, Father, for I have sinned) when I realized Holy Crap! It’s been almost a month.

Wow, time really flies when you’re miserable. And I am. Have I ever mentioned that I hate summer? Odd, I know. Everyone else looks forward to it and I seriously loathe it. Especially since Mr. Jelly Belly has gone on a Don’t-Use-The-Air-Conditioning-Unless-It’s-Over-85-Degrees rampage. If it’s 72 degrees or higher, I start to look like this:



And not just the melting part. Whoo boy…cranky!

Thanks to all of you who checked in on me. Yes, I am still alive – but I’m sure there are many around me who wish I wasn’t. (Did I mention cranky??)

The week I was Home Alone was wonderful. The eating was good, the exercising was good and, one day, I even took off work and did nothing but lay around all day in the banned air conditioning, reading and napping. And napping. And napping. It was heaven. Then Mr. Jelly Belly came home and I went right back to being a sweaty slug.

I’ve got so many things to talk about, but they are not all food and health-related. I hope that’s okay because I’ve grown weary of my food obsession. Sometimes doing research makes this blog feel like a job. And I don’t want that. Plus, how much is there really to say? Vegetables: good. Sugar: bad. And variations on that theme.

However, that being said, Mr. Jelly Belly did grow me some squash – butternut, spaghetti and acorn. And, as they are piling up on my countertop, I realized I have absolutely no idea what to do with them. So you might get a couple of squash posts. Exciting, no? Spaghetti squash sounds fun. I’m looking forward to trying it. Any suggestions?

So see you in a couple of days. And that’s Real Time…not Mrs. Jelly Belly’s Wish-I-Could-Be-In-An-Air-Conditioned-Coma-For-Three-Months time.

17 comments:

Nana said...

Mrs. Jelly Belly is it really you?

Lanie said...

Been wonderin' about you! Funny post! Hope things cool off for you quicker than they will in Texas. I'm actually looking forward to those squash recipes.

Good to see you back!

~Lanie

Anonymous said...

I've been wondering what happened to you! I didn't know you had been sweating yourself into a little pool ;-) I loathe summer as well, so I totally empathize!

Theresa said...

Glad to know you are still breathing, heavily and sweating but breathing:) I like to grill squash with garlic butter. Never cooked the other two. Hope you get cool!

mommakin said...

Sooooooo happy to see you back!!!

Write about whatever you want! We'll read!!

Camevil said...

Who are you? Where am I? Squash? Huh?

Shelley said...

Welcome back! And no A/C unless it's 85 is cruel and unusual...

Cyndi said...

Come on down here...it's unseasonably cool and fallish. I've missed you!

midlife mommy said...

My husband whines about my constant fiddling with the thermostat. I ignore him.

Spaghetti squash -- I think that I used to cut a triangular shaped hole (on an angle so you could put the piece back in) and microwave it. Small ones for 7 minutes and then more for larger ones. Cut in half, scoop out the seeds and glunk, then add butter, salt, and pepper. Yum!! OK, for you, ICBINB, salt substitute, and pepper (which I think is still OK, right?).

Laura said...

make roasted squash soup its on my blog under roasted chewbacca soup :)

MaryRC said...

you were gone, i was gone i think the whole blogging world stopped. tell your hubby that 85 is just cruel, no wonder you hate summer. dont move to the desert, you'll be a puddle for sure.

Sturgmom said...

Glad you're back!

Brandy said...

It's your blog - write about whatever you want.

Glad to have you back!

Patty said...

Why couldn't you have posted this:

"Vegetables: good. Sugar: bad"
before I started my new blog?? :-)

Anonymous said...

I love spaghetti squash. Just split the squash in half and wrap with plastic wrap and micro wave it. Use a fork to scrape the "spaghetti" out and then add your regular sauce and meat. It is fantastic and points friendly!

Georgia Mist said...

Hey, we miss you! C'mon back soon!

Twix said...

Wow! Just found you and was reading with interest and couldn't stop, lol!!

I hate summer, sensitive to gluten and dairy, have's Grave's disease and antibodies for Hashi's, suspected Lupus not diagnosed, and generally in a crappy mood. Hah! I melt above mid 70's too! Nice to find someone who understands!!!! :)