A little less conversation, a little more action...

Sunday, October 11, 2009

How vain it is to sit down to write when you have not stood up to live. --Henry David Thoreau

La la la la la…pretending I’ve never been gone…la la lala la….

Is 50 too old to develop ADD? Seriously, it’s like I can only concentrate on one thing at a time. No multi-tasking for me. If I’m putting all of my energy into reading and writing about healthier eating, I am putting NO energy into actually doing it. If I’m focusing on losing weight and getting back on track, I simply cannot find the time to write about it.

If I’m obsessed with my HUGE FREAKING PORES, I cannot be bothered about my lumpy thighs.

Bizarre.

Anywho, the good news is I am, indeed, about 95% back on track. The weekends can still use some tweaking, though. The bad news is I am writing this instead of planning my meals for next week.

See what I mean?

After almost passing out while driving the other day (I have self-diagnosed that as a blood sugar issue) I decided to quit screwing around and get serious. And wow, do I ever feel better since I did. I’m trying to stay in a 1200 calorie per day range but the main thing I’ve done is cut out most processed foods. Once you do that, everything else pretty much takes care of itself. Funny how that works.

Also funny is that I just said I cut out MOST processed foods - but I wanted to tell you about two things that I have recently discovered. Both in the processed category. (Picture a smiley face here.)

As a basically lazy person, wasting time every morning until the last possible moment, I hate to have to spend too much time on my lunch. Yes, I know I can do it the night before, but let’s get real.

My niece turned me on to StarKist tuna salad in a pouch. Tuna Salad. In a pouch. As in mayo and onions already included.



I had no idea there was such a thing. My first thought on seeing something like this would have been “ewwww, gross” but she assured me it was good - and even bought one for me. Such a thoughtful girl. And it IS good. And only 90 calories. So now I have that for lunch every day (I like the albacore) together with my second find:


Arnold’s Sandwich Thins. Yes, I know everyone else has already tried these. But I have never been able to find them until recently. So cute – and the perfect size for the tuna salad. One hundred calories of deliciousness. (And gluten. I’ve decided to work on slowly eliminating the dairy first and THEN worry about the gluten…but this is actually the only gluten-containing food I’ve been eating and it doesn’t seem to be bothering me.)

This combo is perfect for the lazy. Although it just occurs to me that it would be even easier if I would just take all five pouches for the week and the package of bread to work with me on Monday morning. Then I wouldn’t have to be bothered with schlepping them every single day.

Since I’ve been snacking on raw vegetables in the afternoon, I am buying those pre-washed and pre-cut. Makes things a lot easier. (I totally would never have made it as a pioneer woman. Never.)

Thoughts of getting back to exercising are tumbling around in my head. But that’s an obsession for another day…and I still have my Huge Pores to think about.

12 comments:

mommakin said...

First of all, I think multi-tasking is highly overrated. People brag about their ability to do it, but, I'm sorry, when you're trying to do three things at once, none of them are done right. So those bragging folks are wasting their breathe on me. I'm not impressed.

I am all about making things easier. Particularly healthy things. Particularly when the unhealthy alternatives are such a cinch.

(Missed you - glad to see you back!)

Mrs. Jelly Belly said...

Aw, thanks Tammy! And I agree - something always suffers if you spread yourself too thin.

Theresa said...

Good to hear that you are still with us:) Hopefully you will be able to get yourself on track with the eating and shrink your pores too! Have a blessed day!

Anonymous said...

I find planning really helps with weight loss.

Nice to see you back!

Pseudo said...

Welcome back ; -)

I love the quote at the top....

Camevil said...

Well, helloooo stranger!

Good to hear that you're giving yourself a good ass whoopin. Tho, that car incident gave me chills. Yikes!

Been wondering about those sandwich thins...is that per slice or for 2?

And now I have that song in my head. Thanks.

Mrs. Jelly Belly said...

Hellllloooooo! The sandwich thins are 100 calories for the whole thing. Both halves. Which would be a whole. I think. :)

ree said...

Hey you! Glad you're back. When you figure out the secret to invisible pores, please let me know!

Cyndi said...

I keep seeing commercials for that tuna salad and I want to try it. Nice to see you back, and can't wait to see you Friday!!

Fat[free]Me said...

Hmmm, that tuna salad stuff might just be what I need!

Glad to see you back - and I am with you on the ADD developing mid-life, I wonder what the cause could be - coughcoughhormonescough!

Housewife Savant said...

I missed you.
I mean; not as if YOU NEGLECTED US, but as in - this was posted several days ago and I missed it. I was in the mirror growling at gray hairs. Or maybe it was my moustache...
You are So Much Like Me I feel sorry for your Mr. (but I like you anyway!)

MaryRC said...

tuna is sketchy for me, i hate when i open a can and its all mushy and you cant squeeze the liquid out. chicken of the sea chunk white. its pricey but all i can stand. these thins look yummo

im having large pore issues too, ive done everything, can you imagine if id done nothing..