Well, if THAT isn't motivation...

Monday, July 28, 2008

Recently the results of a study by Swedish researchers were published in the British Journal of Cancer and showed a strong correlation between excess belly fat and the risk of developing pancreatic cancer.

The study claimed that women who carried most of their excess weight around their stomachs were 70% more likely to develop pancreatic cancer – a cancer with a first year survival rate of less than 5%. This risk was strongest in obese post-menopausal women.

"We know that carrying a high proportion of abdominal fat is associated with increased levels of insulin, so we think this may cause the link between obesity and pancreatic cancer," the researchers said.

In addition to diabetes, obesity also raises the risk for other cancers, including breast and colon.

You can determine your risk for developing obesity-related diseases by calculating your BMI here. I am happy to report that, despite my recent setbacks, I am still at a 24, the high end of the "low" range.

Just something I should keep in mind while I’m trying to decide if I really want that third piece of pizza.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

24? I wish.

Mrs. Jelly Belly said...

Heh. You'll get there. I have faith.

Cyndi said...

I'm at "moderate risk" but still, CRAP.