The Yin and Yang of Diet

Sunday, July 27, 2008

A long time ago I read an article about how certain foods that you eat could trigger a craving for other foods - usually less desirable ones. I’m sure there were a lot of examples, but the only thing I actually took away from the article was that eating red meat could cause you to crave sugar, as sugar was the yin to the red meat’s yang .

After reading that, I started paying attention to when the craving for something sweet would happen and dang if it wasn’t ALWAYS after I ate red meat.

I have been sugar-free for seven days now (yay me!) and not having any problems avoiding it at all. I also hadn’t had any red meat until Friday night. Almost immediately after dinner I was craving sugar in the worst way. I took some of the edge off by having a banana, but I struggled with it all night.

I was thinking about that today and about that article I had read, so I looked it up to see if I had remembered what I read correctly.

Here’s what I found:

In Chinese terms Yin describes the Shady side of a slope, Yang being the Sunny side. Yin and Yang exist mutually, without one the other ceases to exist.

I’m not going to try to pretend to understand the correct way to balance Yin and Yang (it was a little too complicated for me today) but I did learn that foods that are considered extremely yang include red meat, salt, eggs and cheese, while foods that are considered extremely yin include refined foods (sugar), alcohol, ice cream and fruit.

So I take this all to mean that if I avoid foods that are extremely yang, my cravings for foods that are extremely yin will cease to exist.

I wonder what will happen if I have alcohol? Will I crave an egg? I’ll research that and let you know.

2 comments:

Human Microbiome Search Engine said...

I don't take Yin and Yang seriously, but I noticed years ago that when I would eat a lot meat or other protein, I would then get a craving for sweets. And the opposite was true: too many sweets would leave me wanting meat.

As time has passed, I seem to want sweets less and less, which is good, because I'm trying to stay on a low-carb diet.

Mrs. Jelly Belly said...

Well, I can't say I take Yin and Yang too seriously either. Heck, I don't even really understand it. LOL But it won't hurt me to avoid red meat anyway. :)