A few of my favorite things

Monday, December 29, 2008

While we wait for this year to grind to a close and before we get back to our regularly scheduled programming, I thought I would share with you a list of my favorite things of 2008.

Now, don’t get excited. I’m not Oprah - I only wish - so don’t be expecting one of each of these items just for being in my audience today.

I’ll start with my most favoritest thing that I got this year – and the rest will be in no particular order.

1. Anyone who knows me personally probably can guess what my number one item is. It’s my Amazon Kindle!



Now, I had to get the money to buy the dang thing by selling my old broken jewelry and single earrings at a Cash For Gold party. But it is so worth every single dime. No more book clutter, I can carry around 400+ books with me at all times (in my purse!) and I can have any book I want delivered wirelessly in about two minutes. But, most importantly, it’s restored my love of reading. And that’s a good thing!

2. My 2008 Ford Escape. Brand new in January, it already has 20,000 miles on it. We love our Escape.

An SUV that drives like a car and gets about 28 miles to the gallon. What could be better? Oh, the remote starter – that’s what could be better! Love it, love it, love it!

3. In the area of paper crafting, the following four items were my favorites this year: The Cricuit, the Cuttlebug, Scor Pal and Rubbernecker unmounted stamps. Fun! And thank God for coupons and internet deals.


4. Cauliflower Pizza. I still love this. It tastes better every time I make it. And I’m no chef.

5. Tresseme Thermal Recovery Shampoo and Conditioner. When you have awful hair to start with and you compound that awfulness with almost daily use of a flat iron, you spend a lot of time and money searching for the perfect product for damaged hair. Guess what? This stuff works better for my hair than all the pricey salon products I spent a fortune on. Under $5 a bottle at Target.



6. The Inno for XM Satellite Radio. Technically, I got this at the end of 2007, but I’ve been rocking it all year.

A portable satellite radio and MP3 player, it records programming and also alerts you when songs you like are playing anywhere on XM. It’s mounted in my car, but easily lifts out so I can walk around with it. Or sweat to the oldies on the treadmill. Theoretically speaking, of course.

7. True North Almond Clusters. Delicious and dangerous. Bet you can’t eat just one.

8. This blog. NaBloPoMo notwithstanding, I’ve enjoyed writing it very much. And I’ve appreciated all of you for reading it.

9. DVR. File this under “how did we ever live without this”. I love that we can set it up to automatically record new episodes of our favorite shows and never have to miss them. I love recording shows that only I like so that I can watch them when I’m home alone. I love everything about it.

10. Although this was only going to be a list of material things, I would be remiss if I didn't mention the newest addition to our family, our third grandchild (and second grandson) who was born on March 10th of this year.


So there you have it. My top ten list. Please tell me about some of your favorite things from 2008 – I have gift cards burning a hole in my pocket.

8 comments:

Cyndi said...

You're just teasing me with the Kindle, you mean thing. I use Tresemme's shampoo and conditioner for curly hair and I love them, so I'll second that endorsement.

As for new toys, I got a Making Memories Slice for Christmas and it is very cool.

Mrs. Jelly Belly said...

Wow, the Slice is cool! (Melissa, are you reading?)

I hope you got on that waiting list for the Kindle....

Tanya said...

That's an awesome list. I don't know about the kindle...I love the look, smell, feel of real books! I like seeing the covers and the author's notes and all that. The kindle is very cool though too.

I have to try that cauliflower pizza.

Happy New Year my dear!

Mrs. Jelly Belly said...

Thanks, Tanya. Happy New Year to you, as well.

I didn't have any interest in the Kindle until I actually saw it in person. Then I HAD to have it. The only thing I really miss is being able to flip a book over to read the back cover when I'm trying to decide what to read next. But that's a small sacrifice considering how much I love everything else about it.

Melissa S. said...

I have to add tastebook. It offers creativity to create your own cookbook, but not so much creativity that it is overwhelming (as in, "oh crap I haven't been using the same font on every page, have to go back and change them all!" etc.)

Mrs. Jelly Belly said...

Oh yeah! How could I have forgotten Tastebook? Maybe it will make my 2009 list - when I get my first book finished!

Every Gym's Nightmare said...

Kindles are awesome. My sister has one of the first ones released and its the coolest thing I have ever seen.

Kelly Turner
www.everygymsnightmare.com

Mrs. Jelly Belly said...

Seeing it in person really does make a difference, doesn't it? And I'm so glad I got mine when I did or I'd still be on a waiting list.