Bad idea in a glass: Pina Colada

Sunday, January 4, 2009


To me, there is nothing better than bellying up to a tiki bar on a hot day and having myself a big ol’ Pina Colada. Ah, refreshing. And fruity. Must be good for you, right?

Let’s look at a few Pina Colada facts, shall we? The good news: rum, pineapple juice and coconut milk blended together to a creamy, ice cold consistency. The bad news: 625 calories per glass and 75 grams of sugar. Yikes! No wonder I love it so much.

I only bring up this summertime drink now, smack dab in the middle of winter, because last week I had a Pina Colada Smoothie from Orange Julius at the mall. I immediately got such horrible gas pains and bloating that I had to STOP SHOPPING and go home. High calories, way too much sugar and shopping cessation = no more Pina Coladas for me.

A nice, minty Mojito sounds like a much better idea, doesn’t it? I’ve never had one, but for 143 calories, I’m for sure trying one the next time I’m out. After my shopping is complete, of course.

7 comments:

Tanya said...

Oh my! Why is everything that tastes good so damn bad for you?

Michelle said...

I've always heard that the clearer the drink/liquor the fewer calories. That's why I stick with straight vodka. LOL!

Mrs. Jelly Belly said...

ROFL! Straight vodka sounds like a winner to me.

Anonymous said...

Yum! I love Pina Coladas. I have had to really control myself since I have been in Maui the last few weeks. I only had one, but it was DELICIOUS!

bonnieboatwright@gmail.com said...

I love pina coladas and it's such a SHAME about all those calories!

Cyndi said...

You had to post this 6 days before my Caribbean cruise? I will think of you every time I raise my 645 calories. :)

Mrs. Jelly Belly said...

I know, you guys - they're SO GOOD, right? And poor Cyndi - I was actually thinking of you when I posted this.

But don't worry - there are no calories in anything when you're on vacation...