Breakfast: Just do it

Wednesday, February 18, 2009

There are many people who think skipping breakfast is a good way to lose weight. I used to be a breakfast skipper. Coffee, coffee and more coffee. Oh, and then I had some coffee. And did I mention I also used to be a lot fatter?

When you don’t eat breakfast, you could be putting 15 to 20 hours between meals. It’s like fasting. And not in a good way. Skipping breakfast will almost certainly send you into “starvation eating” later in the day. And did you know that eating breakfast kickstarts your metabolism? I don’t know about you, but I like to give this old metabolism a good kick every chance I get.

There have been a lot of studies done that have shown people who eat a healthy breakfast are less likely to be overweight than those who don’t. And eating breakfast is a common trait among people who have lost weight and successfully kept it off. Researchers also found that people who ate breakfast tended to eat less calories overall throughout the rest of the day.

So I don’t think I have to tell you that you should avoid sugary stuff like donuts and pastries for breakfast, right? RIGHT? Sure, they taste great, but they are not going to stick with you. They are digested really quickly and you end up hungry and tired. I can’t begin to tell you how many naps I’ve had to take due to donut overload.

Optimally, you want to get some protein and some fiber into your breakfast so that you can stay fuller longer and not be starving by lunch time. Eggs and a whole grain English muffin, of course. Oatmeal with fruit and walnuts. A high fiber cereal, like Fiber One, mixed with yogurt or sugar-free, non-fat pudding. Cottage cheese and fruit. A hard boiled egg, an orange and about 10 almonds will do it. If it seems like too much for your delicate morning tummy, don’t eat it all at once. I always have some fruit about two hours after my oatmeal. Split it up. It’s okay.

Don’t like breakfast foods? So who says you have to eat traditional breakfast foods? No one is going to force you to eat eggs or cereal for breakfast if you don’t like those things. Have a sandwich. Have some shrimp and pasta. Have some leftover Cauliflower Crust Pizza, for pete’s sake. What you eat isn’t as important as the just eating part. One of my favorite non-traditional, run-out-the-door things to eat is peanut butter and banana on a whole grain tortilla. Don’t laugh – it’s really good!

So what did you have for breakfast today?

15 comments:

AP Mommy said...

Yum! That picture looks tasty! Stopping by from SITS!

Julie said...

Umm...I had a McGriddle. That's probably not the greatest either, huh?

Melissa, Multi-Tasking Mama said...

Okay, putting down the coffee and going to eat breakfast now! Thanks for the reminder ;p

Lisa said...

1. I think it's hilarious that your husband and my boyfriend have the same Michigan obsession. I went to Michigan and I just don't get it.

2. I only recently started eating breakfast every morning and I can attest to what a difference it has made for me. Every morning I have a whole grain English muffin slathered with some chunky peanut butter and I am off. Once I get to work I have a banana. My energy levels have honestly improved so much that I don't know why I wasn't eating before!

Sarah :) said...

I mixed Kashi GoLean & Fiber One cereals together since I was almost out of both...with a banana!

Cyndi said...

I didn't actually have breakfast this morning but I ordinarily do. One of my favorites, coincidentally, is peanut butter on whole wheat toast and a banana.

Camevil said...

I'm not a breakfast person. Ugh.

But, I do still force down a whey protein shake in the morning, along with an apple or banana and a 1/2 cup of orange juice.

I'm totally doing lox with some Kashi whole grain crackers this weekend tho.

Lisa said...

I like breakfast on occasion but normally just have tea. I'm just not really hungry early in the day. But when I do eat breakfast, I'm usually ready for lunch at something crazy like 10am!

Anonymous said...

I love breakfast - it's my favorite meal of the day. I'm a cereal girl most mornings, but sometimes I mix it up.

bonnieboatwright@gmail.com said...

As you know, starting to eat a healthy breakfast at home has made a huge difference in my weight loss goals this year.

Kashi oatmeal with fresh blueberries. V8 and unsweetened cranberry juice. I eat/drink all this spaced out between 6 a.m. and 7:30 a.m.

Laura said...

Stopping by from SITS. You are absolutely right about skipping breakfast! I'm not usual a big breakfast food fan in the morning, so I eat leftovers.

Mrs. Jelly Belly said...

Whoops! I tried to change my comments form to embed below post and I guess Blogger didn't like that - and NOBODY could post. Sorry about that - and thanks, Michelle, for the heads up!

Brandy said...

I used to skip breakfast but now I'm eating every morning. Most times I do cold cereal (Kashi, Total or something with high fiber) and then a yogurt a couple hours later.

I need to get some fruit in there somewhere so that's my challenge right now.

Shangrila said...

Oy! I tried to comment yesterday and my husband's computer thwarted me (my laptop needs repair.) What I wanted to say was: I wasn't a breakfast person for YEARS, but once I had kids, I had to set a good example! My favorite breakfast? LUNA bars. Spendy, but great for my daughter and I on the go in the mornings. I split one in two for my little boys-toss a few pieces of fruit and bottles of water into the mix and we're good to go! Great reminder, thanks! ;)

Anonymous said...

I used to be a breakfast skipper, too. Now that I eat a healthy breakfast everyday I feel so much better and find it easier to avoid snacks I should stay away from.